Forum rules - please read before posting.

What next after tutorial

Hi,

I started with adventure creator and finished the 2D tutorial.
I really liked it and I want to make my first own game with aventure creator.
What are the next steps to make an easy but more challenges puzzle game with more levels?

• Are there more tutorials for aventure creator 2D games?
  • How can I make more levels?
  • Do I need to buy puzzle assets to make a more challenges puzzle game?
  • Or do I need to follow unity tutorials?

I hope someone can give me some advice :)

Comments

• All tutorials - both video and text - can be found on the Tutorials page.

A series of text tutorials related specifically to 2D games can be found here, while tutorials on getting started with interactivity can be found here.

These latter tutorials use 3D scenes for examples, but the principles covered can be applied to games of any perspective.

Making more levels is just a case of adding your scenes to Unity's Build Settings (the top scene in this list will be the game's "first" scene), and then using AC's Scene: Switch Action to open them at runtime.

In terms of practical examples, the "Puzzle template: Simple examples" package over on the Downloads page provides a series of simple puzzles such as opening a door with a key, a combination lock etc.

When it comes to puzzles as a topic, AC itself is geared towards puzzles in the more traditional adventure sense - i.e. item combining, dialogue trees, and choice-making. More "mobile-like" puzzle games such as jigsaws can often be implemented using a little custom scripting (see the Downloads page's "Puzzle template: Item arranging" package as an example of this).

Whether or not you rely soley on AC, involve a little scripting, or another asset entirely is really a case of what type of puzzles you're looking to implement. If you can share details of a typical example, I can elaborate on how AC might fit into it.

So far as general Unity tutorials go, AC is best used when you have a general working knowledge of Unity itself - though the 2D tutorial video is the one most aimed at Unity beginners, and can (hopefully) be followed without too much prior Unity knowledge. As AC itself is a plugin that leverages Unity workflows such as rendering and animation, any knowledge you can gain of Unity itself will help with your projects. Again, though, a lot of this is about context - if you'd like to share details of what you're intended to make, I can give more specific advice.

• Thanks for the info. First I start with the 3d interactivity tutorials. I read now that it is also for 2d games. I want to start with a simple traditional adventure game to test my skills. If I want to know more about it then I let you know.

• edited February 2023

Make sure you thoroughly understand what's possible with AC and build your idea around that.

Starting with simple interactions is always a good idea, Player has to find Key to open Door or something like that and slowly gaining traction, playing around with the Inventory, Notes etc. and get everything working (because AC has A LOT of functions integrated).
    I'd recommend just making a really simple little Game, where you test out all the stuff, to really get the hang of it. I think the Park 2D Demo is already in the Package, you could take a look at that, if you haven't already. Where the bird steals your food.

If you just started Unity i would really recommend doing some of the Unity Learn Tutorials to figure out how the Engine works and what shortcuts there are, because you could end up wasting a lot of time on things that could be achieved simpler.

• Thanks, then I try also the Unity Learn Tutorials and make some small game with AC. I did already Unity Essentials tutorial and the Park 2D Demo. I also believe it saves a lot of time :) Sorry for the late response, my son was born last month.

• Congratulations o:)