Forum rules - please read before posting.

Topdown Game

I am interested in the package. It seems to have all the different things I need. I have question regarding can I create a Topdown game with this package.? Also if I can use third party controller like Opsive Third Person Controller with this. Since it has ability system that I like ?

Thanks

Comments

• You can certainly make games top-down, a few of my early AC experiments were isometric in a similar sense.

Following on from that, I was also using a separate third person controller for this project, though that was one I'd put together myself, rather than using the opsive one, but it's certainly possible to use other movement systems with Adventure Creator!

• This looks nice. Have you finished this game ?

• Welcome to the community, @kotor.

The camera perspective is really a matter of user choice - AC works with both orthographic and perspective projection.

AC also provides various camera types - the primary one for 3D games being GameCamera, and for 2D being GameCamera2D. However, if you need more specific/unique behaviour, it's also possible to make use of your own camera type - see the Manual's "Custom cameras" chapter.

As for character control, AC comes with its own controller but it's fairly rudimentary and best suited for "classic" adventure games that AC itself is intended for. Integration with other controller assets is possible, but does require scripting to bridge the gap between the two.

More on this can be found in the Manual's "Custom motion controllers" chapter, and a tutorial can be found here. There is also a sample integration script for Opsive's UCC on the AC wiki, though it's fairly basic in that it essentially just switches control between AC and UCC based on whether you're in a cutscene or not. For a deeper connection (e.g. AC movement commands are responded to by UCC) you would need to contact Opsive as they have been the ones assisting with the UCC side of the integration.

• I used the integration script for Opsive's UC. It seems to be working somewhat. The only problem I am having is the characters head sometimes start bobbling around.. I don't you have any idea ? Maybe something to look sensitivity.

• This is for a third-person game - meaning the character's head is not part of the camera?

If this is a character controlled by Opsive UC, it may be related to that asset instead. Can you share a video/gif to illustrate the behaviour, as well as a screenshot to show the character's components?

• After changing some settings I reduced it just shivering. I noticed if I click on the menu and select resume, everything started running smoothly with no apparent issues. Do you have some idea how to make it run smoothly at the start ?

• Without knowing the root cause of the issue, I can't say. It's still not clear if this is related to AC or Opsive.

What exactly are you clicking on, the default "Menu" button in the lower-left corner? Unless you've changed this, all this does is open up the Pause menu - which shouldn't have an effect on character motion (aside from pausing time).

What settings did you change? On the AC or Opsive side? What is the exact issue the character has before you pause/unpause the game?

• The change I did is in the Animator component, I changed the 'update mode' from 'Animated Physics to normal' that fix the issue of character upperbody spining around to stagger/wobble while walking. I make it smooth by just clicking on the menu on the lower left and then clicking the resume button. I know without seeing it since I am using the interface script for AC and UCC, It is hard to figure out. I was just wondering if anything clicked in you mind based on the info I provided.

• Ah - yes, the wiki script does listen out for changes to the game state.

Try inserting the following into it:

void Start ()
    {
        OnEnterGameState (GameState.Normal);
    }

• That's fixed it :) . Can you explain what was going wrong ?

• That forces the AC Player component's "Motion control" field to be set to "Manual", and the UCC Event "OnEnableGameplayInput" to be set to "True".

While these things should be such by default, the code change enforces it if they're not.

• Thanks. Do you think it needs to be updated to help other users

• Can't hurt - done.