Forum rules - please read before posting.

ITranslatable questions

edited June 2019 in Technical Q&A

I'm trying to integrate custom translations for my scripts using ITranslatable, and everything is mostly working, except that I can't assign the right owner to every line.

There are 2 functions used for that: GetOwner and OwnerIsPlayer. Unfortunately, they don't receive an index like the rest of the functions do, so I can only assign the same character to all the lines in my translatable, which is sadly not enough.

Is this an oversight, or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• The owner is assumed to be the same for all lines found in the iTranslatable instance. For separate characters, you would curretly need separate instances.

What's the context here?

• I'm replacing some ActionLists with scripts. My script has a scripted conversation, and every line is for a different character, which works except for what I mentioned before.

• I would say it's fair to consider providing an index property for these functions, but because of the upgrades involved for those with existing implementations, it likely wouldn't be part of a minor update.

However, you could be a little bit sneaky with your existing code - because GetOwner and OwnerIsPlayer are only both called immediately after HasExistingTranslation, which does include the index. Therefore, you could record the last-called index in this function, and use it in your implementations of the others.

• Yeah, I understand there might be compatibility breaking problems to think about, but thanks for considering it. Again, maybe adding a parameter with a default value might help, which will be a binary breaking change but no source changes involved...

In any case, I'll use that little hack you mention in the meantime, and I'll keep a look on future versions to see if you've been able to add said parameters.

Thanks again, very helpful as usual!