Forum rules - please read before posting.

Fonts and languajes

Hi, I´m trying to manage different fonts for different alphabets. I look there is a tread with something like that but I had some stuff because I have different UI system. I have some UI with the UI for unity and other using ac.
I don´t know if the best its to make in all the scenes a check for language and in the different UI change or if there is a simple and more effective way to change the font.
Thanks

Comments

• edited June 2018
    It'll be a lot easier to rely on Unity UI for all of your Menus, because then all style options are controlled via components and not by the Menu Manager.

You can detect a change in the language via the OnChangeLanguage custom event - see the Manual's "Save scripting" chapter.

Then you can run something like:

Menu[] allMenus = PlayerMenus.GetMenus ().ToArray ();
    foreach (Menu menu in allMenus)
    {
      Text[] texts = menu.canvas.GetComponentInChildren <Text>();
      foreach (Text text in texts)
      {
        text.font = myNewFont;
      }
    }

• Ok well, the OnchangeLanguage event i got it. 
    Now i have the simple if language number is x then the code you posted. But i had a few problems like this line Menu[] allMenus = PlayerMenus.GetMenus ().ToArray (); and in the Text[] texts = menu.canvas.GetComponentInChildren <Text>(); line.

• What problems, exactly?
  • error CS0029: Cannot implicitly convert type `AC.Menu[]' to `Menu[]'
     error CS1061: Type `Menu' does not contain a definition for `canvas' and no extension method `canvas' of type `Menu' could be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

That 2 errors.

https://pastebin.com/Au7tmD9p 
  • You likely have a conflict with another script named "Menu" in your game.

• Nice, i think it´s working but the problem is that didn´t found the text in the child. So i think that the problem now. 
  • OK, I'll look into it.  It might be that a dedicated "FindAllTextComponents" function (or similar) would be beneficial here.
  • Thanks Chris!
  • Well, the script actually works for me just fine.  What are your AC and Unity version numbers, and are these in-scene or prefab-based UI Menus?

You say it "didn't find the Text", but do you mean all - or just some?  Is there a pattern between those it's finding, vs those it's not?
  • Unity 2018.1.0f2 (64-bit)
    AC 1.62.5
    Are prefab-based UI Menus, I think all the text didn´t find because nothing change the font.

And the complete error:
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    LanguajeSelection.OnChangeLanguage (Int32 languageIndex) (at Assets/TANGO-UNITY/LanguajeSelection.cs:47)
    AC.EventManager.Call_OnChangeLanguage (Int32 language) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Managers/EventManager.cs:763)
    AC.Options.SetLanguage (Int32 i) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Options/Options.cs:697)
    AC.MenuCycle.ProcessClick (AC.Menu _menu, Int32 _slot, MouseState _mouseState) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Menu/Menu classes/MenuCycle.cs:490)
    AC.PlayerMenus.CheckClick (AC.Menu _menu, AC.MenuElement _element, Int32 _slot, MouseState _mouseState) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Controls/PlayerMenus.cs:2190)
    AC.PlayerMenus.CheckClicks (AC.Menu menu) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Controls/PlayerMenus.cs:1868)
    AC.PlayerMenus.CheckForInput () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Controls/PlayerMenus.cs:1962)
    AC.StateHandler.Update () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Game engine/StateHandler.cs:299)
  • The script assumes that all Menus have a Canvas attached.  Try this, it'll do a null-check and spit out some Console logs as well:

• That suggests that Options, OptionsPausa, Subtitles, narrador, Conversation were updated successfully.  Was that the case, and what is the difference between those Menus and the others?

I apologise, but the updated script only made adjustments to the font-change when re-assigning the old font, not the new.  Try this:

Is it also the case that the font with the new language is #2, as listed in the Speech Manager?
  • Thanks!! now it´s working