Forum rules - please read before posting.

Animation Curve and 3D character

edited September 2017 in Engine development
I have a strange behavior with Animation Curves.
The environment is this: 2D game, Screen Space, Orthographic camera, 3D character.
If I use the Character Scaling Mode of Sorting Map as Linear, it's ok.
If I set it in Animation Curves and then I begin to change the curve of the line after a few seconds the character starts to slide slowly or it tremble on the spot and then falls as if it no longer had the navmesh segment beneath its feet.
Is it possible that I have misunderstood the use of this option?

[edit]
I have noticed that the problem does not directly depend on the Animation Curve (in this case it increases) but it is created when I add Sorting Map and apparently from its location and size. If I remove it, there are no problems. If I add it, the character (even in IDLE) after a while begins to slide and then falls. But if I resize the Sorting Map making it smaller than the NavMesh Segment, the character does not slide anymore.
I will try to find out better but any suggestions are welcome.

Comments

• edited September 2017
    Sorry, more details are necessary.  Please provide screenshots whenever posting about visual issues.  Is the actual position of the character's root changing?  Is it falling as in through the floor and out of view?

Are you making changes to the Sorting Map at runtime?  What changes, specifically, are you making - e.g. changing the curve in what way?  If you can provide clear steps to reproduce the issue, I will be able to look into it.
  • edited September 2017
    I have recreated the whole scene and for some unknown reason the problem has been reduced.
    But when the character is on the edge of the plane, it often falls and only if the Sorting Map is present.

I made you a short video.

[edit]
    Perhaps another interesting information is that if I change the values of Agent Radius and Step Height to 0.1, when the SortingMap is present the character always falls, if I remove it, never falls (at least in the case of my scene which is, however, very simple).

• edited September 2017
    There is still some information that could confirm the presence of a problem I'm talking about.
    I created another scene identical to the previous one but in Perspective mode.
    Since you told me that the 2D camera would not rotate I tried to build the NavMeshSegment keeping the camera with y = 0.
    In this way, however, the character scale too much in the short path from the carpet to the doors. I worked about an hour trying to give a good perspective without succeeding so I thought about adding the SortingMap (and nothing happened until this point).
    After setting the scale in Linear mode (at RunTime) I immediately started adjusting the Horizontal Movement of the camera and suddenly the character began to slip away (I was in the middle of the room) as in the video.
    To add the SortingMap, however, I must remove Apply Root Motion but in one of my tests today, the character started to slip even with the option enabled.
  • I can't recreate any such issue, so it sounds very specific to your scene and setup.  It may be down to a conflict with Sorting Maps vs NavMesh Agents - what happens if you remove the NavMesh Agent + NavMesh Agent Integration scripts?

You might just have to PM me the scene, Managers and Player as a .unitypackage for me to see for myself - otherwise it's just guesswork.