Forum rules - please read before posting.

Island in the Sun

edited April 2016 in Games showcase
Hi all,

Today marks the end of a development sprint for my main game project, but it's been a very frustrating two weeks with lots of technical and creative issues, so I felt I needed a short break to get my perspective on the project back on track.

I've been thinking about setting up a development blog for some time, but then I decided to create a stupid little game about the project instead - sort of a meta-game.

So, I've spent this weekend creating the first installment, which is online now: http://www.spectralstar.com/iits/index.html 

Very basic animation controllers at this point, so turning looks a bit funny - but it was quite enjoyable to create something that doesn't need to be perfect.

Next episode at the end of the next sprint, i.e. in two weeks time. <:-P

Comments

• Nice! "Sometimes your fingers clip through the terrain" lol.

Water looks great by the way. Is that Playway's handiwork or did you write your own shader?

• No, nothing fancy - it's in fact just the WaterProDaytime prefab from Unity's standard assets (the environment package) with default settings except the scaling.
  • Do you have a mobile build? I'm limited to internet via pc
  • ???

It's a WebGL build, so should work fine on a pc (with a reasonably recent browser) with internet connection?
  • Just out of interest, is your main game project the one you showed a while back with the turn-based combat sections? That was really coming together.
  • edited April 2016
    Yes, that's the one. It still needs massive amounts of work on design, writing and assets, but most of all an extended prototype to see if the integration of a somewhat relaxed adventure style with turn-based combat actually makes for a fun game for players.
  • Haha, enjoyed playing this little game, very funny :) Nice work.
  • Another two-week development sprint done, so episode 2 is now up:

Ernie and the lifeguard are back with more "information" about my game - now with new assets and an interview with a guest character from the real game! :O)
  • Really want to play this, but the WebGL player keeps crashing :(
  • The "out of memory" thing?

A secondary reason for setting this up as a WebGL game was to follow developments in WebGL support in browsers and Unity, so if anyone can't run it, I'd very much like to hear about it, and what OS + browser combination they're on.
  • Yep, it was the Out of Memory Thing, Im on Firefox/Windows 7 set up.
  • edited April 2016
    Hmmm, seemed to work with that combo here, but I've increased the heap size with an updated version, so possibly fixed now.

• Episode 3 delayed due to me being sick over the weekend, but I have the following comments to share from the main characters:

The Lifeguard: "We'll be back as soon as humanly possible with a new episode. Oh, sorry Ernie - you're a monkey, so 'humanly possible' might sound a bit disrespectful ..."

Ernie: "I just hope that spells the end of that glitch-o-rama. Don't call me about the next episode - I have so many better ways to waste my time!"