Forum rules - please read before posting.

[Feature request] Message method name validation

Hi again,

As previously mentioned, I'm using scripts in my game, which means I use a lot of custom messages. It will be really helpful if those worked like Unity events, where you can pickup a method name from a list (i.e. all available argument-less methods), and as a second step that the field went red or similar when the method is no longer there.

That said, I can give it a try myself (at least the first part) if you accept contributions, not sure about that.

Thanks again!

Comments

• The best way to integrate custom scripts is to hook into custom events. See the Manual's "Custom events" chapter for more.

If you want to go down the message-validation route, this could be attempted with a custom Action.

• I see, I can use that for some situations, but not everything? For example, interactions for a hotspot, like an inventory interaction. For those I'll need to add a Button to the invButtons property, and hook it in some way, I assume?

In any case, looks like having it in the UI will be a bit more clean just for the wiring.

Adding a custom action will probably not work in those cases either.

• edited July 2019

Additional events can be added if necessary.

However, OnHotspotInteract is still triggered in the event of using an item on a Hotspot with no defined interaction. If unhandled, the Button parameter will be empty - so a null-check can be used to handle this scenario.