Forum rules - please read before posting.

Question about "Allow Regular Gameplay during Conversation"

I read somewhere in the forum (can't find it now) that AC allows saving mid-dialogue if "Allow Regular Gameplay during Conversation" is checked.

But that doesn't seem to be my experience.
The InGame menu doesn't show during dialogue and if I show the Pause menu (by setting it to an input key), the save option isn't available.

Comments

• edited February 2019

AC and Unity versions, please.

You say "during the dialogue" - are you referring to the characters speaking, or displaying the Conversation's choices? As I said in the linked thread, the option only affects the latter.

If you are talking about the latter, does the same issue occur if you load the 3D Demo, check the same option, and speak to Brain after the opening cutscene?

• Character speaking.

• AC and Unity versions, please.

Again, please provide.

Character speaking.

Set the ActionList's When running field to Run In Background.

• AC: 1.66.8
    Unity: 2018.2.20f1

Sorry for the extremely late response. For some reason, the above message never posted and was saved as a draft.

I have another question related to this; does AC save where in an ActionList the player is when "Allow Regular Gameplay during Conversation" is checked or rather does AC resume action lists that were running when the player saved the game?

Thanks

• For some reason, the above message never posted and was saved as a draft.

Which message?

does AC save where in an ActionList the player is when "Allow Regular Gameplay during Conversation" is checked or rather does AC resume action lists that were running when the player saved the game?

The point at which a running ActionList is at is not stored in save game files - this is why Conversations have traditionally not been allowed during gameplay, as it's dangerous if used improperly.

The state of an ActionList can be saved if it has been paused using the ActionList: Pause or resume Action.

• Which message?

AC and unity version. I figured out what I was doing wrong.

The state of an ActionList can be saved if it has been paused using the ActionList: Pause or resume Action.

How should I call it? I suppose I can call the ActionList (containing the ActionList: Pause or resume Action) when player enters the Pause menu?

• Yes, that could work. Again, it's not a "safe" thing to do, but try it and see how it goes.

• One last thing, I can make this into a parameter ActionList. Is there a way to get the name of the currently running ActionList?

• What field are you looking to parameterise?

Multiple ActionLists can be run at once. You can access them with:

foreach (ActiveList activeList in KickStarter.actionListManager.activeLists)
    {
        if (activeList.IsRunning ())
        {
            ActionList actionList = activeList.actionList;
        }
    }

foreach (ActiveList activeList in KickStarter.actionListAssetManager.activeLists)
    {
        if (activeList.IsRunning ())
        {
            ActionList actionList = activeList.actionList;
            ActionListAsset actionListAsset = activeList.actionListAsset;
        }
    }

• What field are you looking to parameterise?

I want to parameterise the ActionList field of ActionList: Pause or Resume action.

I can't think of any other way to pause a running ActionList since otherwise if I have n number of actionLists, I would need n number of ActionList which stops an ActionList.

Or is there any other easier method?

• The ActionList field can be overridden with a GameObject parameter.