Forum rules - please read before posting.

Unity UI subtitles menu question

I'm redoing the subtitles menu in UI and I want it to pop-in/pop-out from the bottom, something like this > https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/kff0zcny34j5ryd/2019-01-26_11-56-28.mp4

The animation is all done via script (mentioning because the custom Animation option tells to animate via Animator).
Can I use Event like OnStartSpeech and OnStopSpeech for calling the methods that animate the UI? Also, how will I call a component attached to the prefab?

Comments

• If you're animating via script, then events are the way to go. However, the OnMenuTurnOn and OnMenuTurnOff events would likely be the most appropriate here. These provide the Menu class as a parameter, allowing you to extract its canvas, i.e.:

using UnityEngine;
    using System.Collections;
    using AC;

public class MenuEventTest : MonoBehaviour
    {

private void OnEnable ()
        {
            EventManager.OnMenuTurnOn += OnMenuTurnOn;
        }

private void OnDisable ()
        {
            EventManager.OnMenuTurnOn += OnMenuTurnOn;
        }

private void OnMenuTurnOn (Menu menu)
        {
            if (menu.title == "Subtitles")
            {
                GameObject myUIGameObject = menu.canvas.gameObject;
            }
        }

}

• Thanks a lot Chris. Going to try this out now :)

• So, I slight issue.

When I switch ActionLists, the menu hides and shows. It creates a bit of weird affect where one subtitles menu is going down while other coming up. Is there a good way to circumvent that?

One hack in my mind is to set a variable to true, ConverstionContinuining and not show the animation while the var is true. Is that the best way?

• The speech menus will overlap naturally unless you insert a pause in between the speech Actions.

You should be able to rely on events coupled with co-routines (to wait for X seconds) to time things correctly. I'm not clear on which animation you want to prevent, though - the ending of the first menu, or the beginning of the second - or both.

• The ending of the first menu.

• The OnMenuTurnOn event of the 2nd menu will kick in before the OnMenuTurnOff event of the 1st menu, which makes it a little tricky.

What you could try is setting an internal bool, e.g. "IsTurningOn" to True inside OnMenuTurnOn, and setting it to False X seconds later (the duration of the "on" animation). If OnMenuTurnOff is called while IsTurningOn = True, ignore it.

• Alright. Will do this