Forum rules - please read before posting.

Gamepad gameplay only

Hello Chris, is it possible to create game with only gamepad controls and no mouse or keyboard? By that i mean character control and menu navigation only with gamepad. For example if i would like to publish game for console Nintendo Switch. Tnx

Comments

• It is certainly possible! I've been doing something like that myself with one of my test projects. In the AC Game Editor's "Settings" tab, under "Interface Settings", you can change the input method to "Keyboard or Controller" to lay the foundations of bypassing the mouse. You'll need to alter things like the inventory a bit, though.

You can look up reference guides online for how Unity refers to gamepad buttons and sticks to set them up in the input menu, like this: http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php/Xbox360Controller
  • Indeed: see the Manual's "Keyboard or controller input" chapter, which provides an overview of this input style, as well on tips regarding direct-menu navigation.

To be clear: AC does not officially support consoles - see the FAQ.  This is primarily because each console has its own restrictions and requirements when it comes to save handling (both format and location).

However, AC does provide the ability for users to implement their own save methods via implementation, which can get around such issues.  For more on this (though this'll be a step later on down the line, I imagine), see the Manual's "Custom save formats and handling" chapter.