Forum rules - please read before posting.

Menu position type "above speaking and freeze"?

Is it possible to have a menu option thats similar to "appear at cursor and freeze" for "above speaking character"? A lot of the older games did this and it looks more appropriate for certain retro game styles, especially where pixel-perfect cameras are in use and moving dialog is a little awkward with low-resolution cameras.

Comments

• This is already possible - set the Appear type to Above Speaking Character, and uncheck Move with character?.
  • Where is move with character? image
  • Check Duplicate for each line?.
  • I think the topic I had where you mentioned how to fix that double line issue has been deleted; with Duplicate for each line? enabled, there's a 1-frame flash of the previous line before it clears and shows the next, how is that fixed?
  • edited November 2018
    Please share a gif or video that shows the issue.
  • I keep trying to capture it but it never seems to show up on the screen capture video. I sent you the project for checking that other issue, if you change the subtitles menu to duplicate line, it'll show up on the "alrightjones" scene, if not the first time, it'll definitely happen the second time you run the scene, which is really odd.
  • edited November 2018
    Recreated.  This is fixable, up to a point: there is an additional compound issue with your own CustomCanvasScaler component.

The next update will see this issue fixed so long as you rely on a regular CanvasScaler.  If you need to use something custom, you'll have to manually hide the Text component for a frame or two to mask the positional error:

• Sure, the CustomCanvasScaler is actually from Unity's own pixel-perfect camera repository, and it's necessary for it to work correctly. Is it possible to modify the custom scaler to account for the positioning? If not, I'll just hide it; I'm not sure if it will introduce a noticeable lag or not?
  • There's two positioning issues right now, I'm not sure which you mean.

The offset issue when a Menu has a Canvas Scaler component, which occurs for the lifetime of the Menu, will be fixed in v1.66.  This will also work for the CustomCanvasScaler.

The "flash" issue, when a Menu momentarily has the wrong position for the first frame of its life, will also be fixed - but only for the regular Canvas Scaler.
  • Yes, the "flash" issue; the hide fix is fine, I just wanted to know if there was any way of making the Custom scaler compatible so it doesn't flash without requiring the frame delay fix - it's not my custom script, it's actually by Unity to make scaling working with the pixel-perfect camera.
  • Not that I'm aware of.
  • No problem, a frame hide will be fine! Out of personal curiosity, what is causing the issue with the scaler?
  • That's a question for Unity's dev team.  It seems that the Canvas Scaler works by performing additional calculations after everything else, which causes its position and size to be changed as a post-process.  What's needed isn't so much a bugfix but a way of accounting for the change.
  • Which explains why it's the first pixel-camera that works with AC, since most other scripts I tried broke when AC took over the camera. Hopefully, eventually will work and I can update the wiki so we can have a rock-solid grounds for pixel-perfect adventure games using AC!
  • Which object should http://pasteall.org/1377242/csharp go on? I assumed txtSubtitles as it requires a text component, but it gave an error about a missing component?
  • Anywhere on the Canvas, but assign txtSubtitles as the Text field in the Inspector.