Forum rules - please read before posting.

Bug? Player Constraint Up Movement Disabled - Footsteps sounds still playing

Hi Chris,

I have the player constraint set to disabled for the up/fwd movement, then I have a custom script that applies force impulse in the Z axis (though I dont think this has anything to do with it), because when I press W to 'walk' forward even though its disabled and the player doesnt walk forward, the footsteps sounds still plays,

if this is not a bug could you let me know what I should do to prevent it from happening?

Thanks

Comments

• Need more details.  What's the animation engine, and how are you playing footstep sounds?  (There are two methods - see the "Footstep sounds" chapter of the Manual.

Full screenshots and Unity/AC version numbers, please.
  • Unity 2017.3.0f3
    AC 1.63.1

Mecanim on the character Automatic on player script motion control
    I am using the Sound child object of the character with the footsteps script attached 

On the script I have the selection to only play when grounded and play sounds automatically

Note; if I have the character to simply stop and disable up movement, the walking footsteps will not play,

This only happens when I am pushing the player with the rigidbody impulse force and then pressing W to move up, the character does not walk but it does play the footsteps sounds
  • When set to play automatically, sounds will only play if the AC considers the character as "moving" by its own internal systems.

Testing my own character, the character is properly considered as "idle" when pressing w/up while up-movement is constrained.  Do you have the same experience, i.e. does the issue only occur once your own script is incorporated?

It could be due to some conflict with that script, but if you set Play sounds to Via Animation Events, you'll have complete control over exactly when they play.
  • I am using PlayMaker to add the impulse force, when the up is constrained and it happens

and yes it only happens when the impulse is added to the character,

However, for whatever reason this does no longer happen... and I have not changed any of the actions etc,

I'll let you know if it happens again and hopefully narrow it down as to why and how...

In the future I'll look into Via Animation events since it seems like its better and more control especially since I am also using that custom walking script you helpd me with.

Thanks