Forum rules - please read before posting.

Castle Adventure: Remastering a Classic DOS Adventure Game

I really enjoyed Castle Adventure for DOS when I was growing up and played it for countless hours. Now, I'm recreating the game using Unity with Adventure Creator, Final IK, Cinemachine, etc. Check it out on my youtube channel:

Comments

• Cool, how did you create the combat? is it all custom made or did you use an existing asset for it?.
    I have been looking for a simplistic combat asset to work alongside AC but haven't found one yet :/.
  • The combat is mostly all custom made, and it's not that great. It doesn't "Feel" very good, so I really need to improve the combat system and maybe use an asset if I can find one.

Scripting the AI for the combat was pretty complicated, so I think I will try to use Behavior Designer, that's the best looking AI pack I can find:

Currently the player has a hotspot, so you can select inventory items (sword/helmet) and click them on yourself and some text "Equip Sword" will show. The enemy has a Hotspot, so if you click on the enemy while sword is equipped, attack animation will play. The sword has a trigger over it, which will detect if it touches the enemy during a "sword sweep" animation. If that happens, then the enemy will play a "take damage" animation and his health variable reduced.
  • edited December 2017
    I think it's going really cool, you seem to have a pretty nice base you could even use for original games once you tweak it a bit more.

Regarding combat, when you say the "feel" isn't right, do you mean Controls or something else? It's ironical, but better sound effects and animations can go a long way making combat "feel" better. Your current attack animation lacks oomph, the swing just doesn't look strong... Guess you could try making the animation faster and add a light camera shake when the hit occurs, maybe even add a sword trail. Also you just have a weak randomized woosh sfx, you could replace it or add to it with a strong crushing sound whenever the sword actually hits the target.

I've myself tried a few character controller assets with combat and they all tend to feel like something is missing... simply because the animations just aren't good enough (they tend to lack a feeling of weight). I think it might be a good idea to first verify if what's holding your combat system down isn't just animation, sfx, particles or other vfx. Also making the enemy move back or around or try to dodge every now and then while attacking might make combat look more organic/lively.

Anyway, I would be interested in hearing how you are approaching the procedural animation. It's the kind of ting I've always been interested in but never really got the chance to try myself.
  • Thanks Alverik! I've tired to implement all recommendations you've made and it's a lot better now. Also now using Behavior Trees for AI:

I have made a tutorial about the procedural animation system, using Final IK:

• Using Cinemachine for Camera Movement + Post Processing V2 effects for adventure game puzzles!

• Crystal Ball Item / Effect explained: