Forum rules - please read before posting.

Examine objects

I'd like to give the player the ability to zoom in on an object, rotate it to examine it and then have it returned to the original position.  Just wondering if you could suggest the best way to do that.  I kind of thought the pickup object would work as it has zoom and rotate features, but seems might be disruptive.  Should I use a hotspot instead?  Any suggestions?  Thanks John

Comments

• A PickUp object does not currently have the ability to return to its original position, but you could likely add this manually by making use of the OnGrabMoveable and OnDropMoveable events.  A tutorial on custom events can be found here.  I shall consider adding such a feature in an update, however.

If you were to make use of Hotspots, you would have to handle the zooming/rotation features via a custom script of your own - as PickUps only have the zooming/rotation feature in AC.  While manipulating an object via your own script, you can disable AC's systems with the Engine: Manage systems Action.  You could also make use of parameters to parameterise the clicked Hotspot, but I would recommend just getting it working with just one Hotspot before trying multiple, should you go down this route.
  • Actually, this is a good one for the wiki - you can find such a script here, though the next update will fix an issue related to pickups not snapping to their "maximum zoom level" if grabbed outside of it.
  • Thanks looks good.
  • Can you point me to where I can pick up LerpUtils?  Did a google search and can't see to find anything specific
    Thanks John
  • That file is already inside the Adventure creator folders. Maybe you're just not using the right AC version... The description in the wikia article does say it needs AC v1.57 to work.
  • Sorry about that.  I was using 1.5.6.  
  • Thanks.  Got working.