Forum rules - please read before posting.

Old text being used in interactions

I have edited some of my interactions so people say different things, but for some reason it is still using old text somehow. How do I "refresh" this ?

Comments

• Are you relying on a translation for your game's default language?  You'll need to edit the translation from the Speech Manager / an exported CSV file in that case.
  • I dont know exactly, I dont want to rely on that, I just want default English for now. Some time ago I think I was trying to produce a script file that I could read away from my computer, and now this has happened - some menus are now in french too which I cannot work out, and they use text from your ac demo. The speech part of AC is quite mysterious and confusing and I am  shit scared I am going to lose my texts!...is that possible? It would be pretty awful, thats why I steer clear of this side.  Gonna study the docs again today..
  • Outside of runtime, translation text is stored entirely within the Speech Manager, so if your game text is sometimes showing French from the Demo then I would guess you had the Demo_SpeechManager assigned as your Manager when it shouldn't have been.

The localisation system is designed to be non-desctructive in that the original text sources (Actions, etc) should never be written to.  You should, of course, always back up your project when starting a new step of development, and also be sure to use the latest AC release.
  • Thanks Chris, I think I used your demo as a template thats why theyre still in there. I still cannot work out how to refresh my texts though for example I edit the text on a hotspot, save, do gather texts, then run again. But the text is still out of date from some time ago. 

The only thing I see in "Game Text" is "i cant cut that" from the demo, should *all* of my texts be under here? If I do a csv export everything is up to date in there. So I imported it and it is still out of date. Also ttried "game text->import text" with no luck. Also my menus are still in french even though in the menu tab they are all in English. 

I think Ive done something weird to get into this state, but I am well confused now, I just want up to date english only for now and will worry about translations later....!
  • edited May 2017
    Just opened up my speechmanager.asset in a text editor and I see that the "old text" is in fact a translation,..

- isPlayer: 0
        lineID: 266
        scene: SCREAMING_TORTOISE_8
        owner: neckbreak
        text: Wow! You found my hat, thanks mate! (NEW TEXT)
        description: 
        textType: 0
        translationText:
        - Wow! You found it thanks! (OLD TEXT)
        customAudioClip: {fileID: 0}
        customLipsyncFile: {fileID: 0}
        customTranslationAudioClips: []
        customTranslationLipsyncFiles: []

Where it says name of Original language I have "Original" is that right or should be English?

Any way to wipe out translations and go back to just using the original language? What have I done lol....
  • That would do it - when you create a new translation, the translation's text for each line starts out as a copy of the original text.  If you then modify that original text, however, the translation will be left alone - as it should be.

You can click "Reset text" in the Speech Manager to clear all translation text, and click on the right cog beside each translation to delete it.
  • Thanks mate, that totally fixed it up!.. Awesome.