Forum rules - please read before posting.

Footsteps recently stopped working?

I have noticed that none of my footsteps for my NPC's and player's footsteps are playing anymore (This could have been from a recent update?)

See my inspector's set up on player (this is the same as my NPC's:

Also, note that the player has an audio clip on the same root gameobject as the audio clip, and a seperate sound child that is linked to the audio clip

Comments

• Please post the version you're using, and re-phrase your last sentence - audio clips are not components and do not get attached to gameobjects.

Footstep sounds are working fine on my end, nothing has been changed.  Try removing the Sound object and adding a new one.
  • HI, using latest version of A.

Last sentence should have read:

The player has an audio source component on the root gameobject as well as one on the sound child gameobject
  • Here is my speech and scene settings - nothing untoward here is there that would affect it?

• Just find it odd that all of my characters are now no longer playing footsteps sound and they were last week?

• ps tried removing and replacing the Sound object but still didn't work
  • Do all SFX sounds not work, or is is just footsteps?

The SFX volume slider in the Settings Manager is for the default values a player has the first time they run the game, and isn't necessarily the volume your game is currently set to.  Click "Reset options data" to reset the game's SFX volume and see if that makes a difference.
  • Hi, gave that  a go to no success. My BG sounds pay and they are set to SFX so they work fine.

Could it be something to do with Remember Sound Script?

See screenshot of Player Sound child inspector and other SFX BG sounds in scene:

• The sound child is properly assigned in all characters? 

Have you checked if it's not a problem with 3D sound? Unity sets all sounds as 3D sounds by default and they get dimmer and dimmer the further away you are from the camera, also the rolloff option in the audio settings is pretty harsh so sounds by default get quiet really quickly, try setting the rolloff option to 0 and see what happens. You could also check the audio mixers (if you're using them) to see if any sound is actually playing when you run the game (by seeing the audio levels rise and fall).
  • Could it be something to do with Remember Sound Script?

Remove it and find out!  Was this added as part of the auto-tag feature?  That would only happen if you manipulate the Sound script through Actions, which you shouldn't need to do for a character.
  • I think I added the remember sound script to see if it would help, all my other sounds have been auto tagged.

However with the remember sound script removed the footsteps still do not work.

I have not done anything to added anything to any of the scenes to stop all my npcs and player to stop their footsteps sounds working. And they were all working last week.

I have tried different footsteps sounds to see if it is the audio file, but still nothing works.

All my other sounds in all scenes work fine - trigger sounds, background loop sounds and fx.

I have gone through the AC tutorial countless times to ensure I have everything correct.

I am stuck here I am afraid.
  • We need to determine if it's to do with your character, or something else in your project.  Drop in the 2D demo game's player, Brain2D (in /Assets/AdventureCreator/2D Demo/Resources), temporarily disabling any player prefab that may be in your scene.  He should be set up already to play sounds when he walks - do they play correctly when you then run the scene?
  • OK, dropped him in, and no footsteps!

It must be something else in my project, but something that is in all scenes?
  • No, it's likely a bug.  Expect a fix in the next update.