Forum rules - please read before posting.

Adventure Creator with a 3rd person Player

edited December 2015 in Technical Q&A
Hello!

Strangely I think I have achieved this before, but can't remember how. I certainly have used the 3rd person camera to follow an NPC, but cant seem to find out how to set up a Player for 3rd person. There isn't a movement type specified.

I assumed that it should be pretty close to 1st person, just with a 3rd person camera, but thats not working for me, if I choose 1st person movement, it doesn't recognise the 3rd person Camera selected in the default camera slot. And all I see is the view from miles away...

If I select Direct as a movement type, the character spawned OK, the camera revolves around the player, and the character is animating her Idle anim...  WASD will revolve the player, but not walk.

My Player character is set up as in the tutorial and the Player script attached, so the fact that its explained in the Player creation tutorial seems to suggest that IT IS possible.

Comments

• There's no "Third Person" movement option, as the camera is designed to
    work indepentenly: e.g. it can work with both Point And Click and Direct
    movement.

First Person movement will force the FirstPersonCamera
    to be used during gameplay, so you don't want that.  With Direct, the
    camera and player movement are independent.  Make sure that your
    Horizontal and Vertical axes are properly defined.  They'll be what
    controls the player, and you can define separate axes for the camera if
    you wish.

The first thing to do is to ensure the player can move
    under Direct control, so get WASD to move the Player with just a regular
    GameCamera first before introducing the 3rd person camera.
  •  and you can define separate axes for the camera if 
    you wish.

Sorry for being dense here, but what did you mean by this, Normally the 3rd person camera would just follow the player, what axes would I need? Or are you talking about a kind of mouselook steering thing?
  • If your camera's Spin/Pitch axes are not Locked, then you'll be able to define an input axis for each that changes the angle.  By default this is mapped to Horizontal / Vertical, but you could replace this with your own inputs that are mapped to mouse movement for mouselook control.