Forum rules - please read before posting.

Character turns and delays a bit before moving

edited December 2015 in Technical Q&A
Using point and click movement. After clicking the character turns and is delayed for about 1 second after the turn before moving. This is without "turn before moving" switched on, if I turn that on it's worse.

Am I missing something? 

Comments

• Also I really can't get my head around the destination accuracy. The capsule collider of my character is 1 tall and 0.5 but turning the accuracy down seems to give better results than turning it up.  

It seems impossible to get the character to land on the right spot with any degree of regularity. Is this because I'm using root motion? 

I think the above problem might be related to root motion also as when I turned it off the character immediately starts moving (albeit sliding around and not animating for the first second).

Is there a way to improve this or is it just a problem inherent in root motion? I'm tempted to switch to direct control as point and click is causing a lot more problems than I thought it would. 
  • To provide a bit more info I switched to direct control and the delay before walking is still there. 

• Using root motion adds an extra layer of complexity because you're then relying on the animation to drive your motion, so you have:

AC movement code -> Mecanim parameters -> Mecanim animation

You may get improvements if you tweak the values that drive your Mecanim transitions, and by increasing the character's acceleration value.

On the subject of movement in general, I am looking into making some improvements to it for v1.50.
  • So it turns out the delay was caused by "Has exit time" being clicked in mecanim. It must've been waiting for the idle loop to finish before moving. 

I look forward to seeing what you come up with in 1.50 :)
  • It was also ticked for the walk so I think that also explains why he was going beyond his destination.