Forum rules - please read before posting.

player character doesn't speak when in asset action list

i have the player chacter's prefab selected as the speaker in a few assets action lists  (i.e. when looking at inventory objects). when i did that - the player didn't initiate the talk animation or used his speech voice file
only when i converted it to check the "player line" he did.

is that a bug?

Comments

• No - it's as intended.  Always check Player line? if the player is the one speaking.
  • why is that intended? if i select a character prefab to talk in the asset action list, shouldn't the instance of the character in the scene  be talking?
  • Because AC treats the player as a special case.  If you assign the prefab manually, it won't know that it's the player whose speaking.
  • what if it's another character and you assign it's prefab ?

p.s. i added the "Constant ID" component to the player's prefab about found out that my scene's player had a different ID from the prefab. i ticked the prefab ID in the component and the deleted the old game object from the scene and re-dragged the player prefab onto the scene.
    is that ok to do that?
  • edited November 2015
    Better to tick that button in the scene-based instance and then apply the prefab - otherwise any references made with the old ID number will be lost.  You can set it manually, however, though generally you shouldn't need to give your Player a Constant ID number.

If you need to differentiate between different player's lines in the editor, you can add a description in the Speech Manager.  However, I will see if it's possible to get it working as you were hoping.
  • I'm having some overall weird funciotnality which i find hard to understand and describe when it is related to using the prefab - the ID kept changing and losing it's linkage to the gameobject instance in the scene several times i made changes in the prefab. I reverted back to using "Player Line?" where i found it. (i used to use the prefab because it used to be using the Player file names but now since it's using the character's name as filename it's fine to use it this way.)
  • I think I know the issue you're describing - basically the ID number is retained, but the field is emptied.  This isn't normally an issue - because it'll still find the right object (using it's ID) at runtime.  However, I'm looking to fix it for v1.50.