Forum rules - please read before posting.

Movement effects scale

edited June 2015 in Technical Q&A
Hi,

I have a cutscene that runs (as seen in vid below) and what happens is, when the character moves it seems to loose aspect ratio, and squishes. 

I have halted the move to point for a few seconds to see that its working until that command is run

I cant seen to find out how to resolve. it is only this char so far.

Comments

• I know exactly what it is :)

You are using Mecanim, check your animation looks like somewhere in your keys you changed you Z rotation. And make sure all position keys are broken or flat.
  • Will check later, but am pretty sure there is no z rotation in the mecanim keys...

• What does the Transform component look like when this happens?
  • edited June 2015
    just checked:

i think it is this object transform rotation that's the problem

the parent (which has npc script on) Y rotation goes to 270, the child (which has sprite) goes to 80 in Y....

only happens when move to point - i.e. a marker
  • however, the one that works appears to do the same, which works :/
  • edited June 2015
    Sprites are supposed to counter-rotate to face the camera, while the parent will rotate normally.

Can you describe the exact steps needed to recreate this on my end with e.g. the Brain2D player prefab included with AC?  It'd also be worth seeing if that prefab also has the same problem or not.
  • Hi Chris, 

Thanks for getting back to me.

I will test Brian2D prefab later to see if he does the same... will get back to you.
  • OK, I have been playing around.

Been fighting it, but think i have got to the root of the problem.

I should start by saying that my set-up of a char: 
    parent with the NPC script etc on, and a child with the sprite render on.

In addition I'm moving the chararcter by:
    Firstly playing an animation then moving to a point (marker)
    no animations are styped into the npc for walk run etc as its custom animation running, so these fields are blank (did try playing with this, no luck anyway)

hope all that makes sense so far...

Solution was:

if you increase the scale of the parent = the sprite when moving would be thin as seen in the original video.
    if you decrase the scale of the parent = the sprite would be fat and squished,

solution is to not scale the parent object if have to use any scaling - keep it 1 in x and 1 in y

scale up the child with the sprite - this then works :)

anyway - hope all that makes sense. 

Maybe you knew of this anyway, and it was my inexperience that failed.

Anyhow, if this turns out not to be the case, and is something else i over looked, will post here again.

Thanks

Gav