Forum rules - please read before posting.

Import/Export translations problems

edited January 2015 in Technical Q&A
Hi all,
I have a csv file with the exported text with 2072 lines. A lot of lines...
I already done the Gather text, and all my dialogue have its id number.
If I open my csv file and look at it, it's all ok.
BUT
If now I import this csv file (even if I don't change anything), weird things begins to happen to some lines (about 5 or 6 on all text). On the translation column appear a "." instead the original text.
All my quotation marks disappear and somethimes they duplicates (if I have one ", in the imported text appear "").
So I exported the translation again and on the translation column there are all the problems described above.
So I correct the error one by one, then I reimport the corrected csv, but nothing change, there are the same problems.

No one discovered this issue?

Tx and bye!

Comments

• PS: Unity version 4.5.5f1 - AC version 1.40b
  • It can be a bug as you said you export and reimport without changing anything but I would suggest cheking the format of the text, charset saved, on which one AC expect the textfile to be, and of course how is handing all this the editor where you are opening the csv and saving it... things like that... UTF8, latin, etc.

It's a pain. I hate charsets and text formats ^.^
  • Can you upgrade to 1.41a (even in just a separate temp project) and let me know if the problem persists?
  • edited January 2015
    @MaaS: thanx, I tryied all the format but there's something wrong with AC and exported/imported text. 

@ChrisIceBox: just upgraded (on another pc, eheh) to Unity 4.6.1 and AC 1.41a but without success... :((

After the upgrade: 
    I eliminated the 2 languages. 
    Recreated them from scratch.
    Gather text.
    Export translation (the n.1) as Tran1_test1
    Without opening the csv, import translation (n.1)
    Export translation (still n.1) as Tran1_test2
    When I open Tran1_test1, all is correct.
    When I open Tran1_test2, there are some text modified, especially the ones with the " (double quotes?) in the csv the " were eliminated, on some lines all the text was erased and there is a point (.).
    The 2 csv have different dimension, only 1kb... the first correct is 348 kb, the second with errors is 347 kb.
    And if I modify those lines with errors and reimport them, the program doesn't get the changes...

Hope you can find a solution, it's very useful this import/export function. 
    [-O<

Tx and bye
  • edited January 2015
    hmmm... without looking at the code, double quotes and some texts erased looks like may be the plain texts gathered should be escaped before export/import them.

@2finger try escaping the double quotes manually (just test one)... just use \" (backslash+double quote) instead of " (double quote) = this is a \"quoted\" word

If it doesn't work, you can try with two double quotes= this ""word"" is quoted too

And for the text erased... which is the character/word erased and what character was just before it?... Imagine a text with a character let's say, problematic, like a $ = Hi this is a $test

If the text string reimported is cutted and reads like "Hi this is a " we know that the $ is where the problem is.

I hope this helps :)
  • The CSV reader separates lines with a pipe |, so double quotes should be OK.  I'll do my own tests, though.

Do you have three asterisks in a line anywhere? *** will cause trouble.
  • I've determined the source of this, and a fix will be part of the 1.42 update.
  • Excited to hear a fix is coming! I'm also unable to import translations.