Forum rules - please read before posting.

Speaking NPC while Player is walking and exploring

edited May 2014 in Technical Q&A
Hi all,
anybody knows how to make npc talking while the main char is walking and looking hotspots or clicking around?
Example: there are 3 npc talking at the bus stop, with subtitles under. My player is walking near them, observing the bus stop, the npc, the signs... while they're still talking without any interaction with the player.
I tried with a trigger on enter, checking in the dialogue speech "play in background" but all their conversation jump on the last. I put an engine pause between one speech and the other, but when I click the subtitle disappear...
Maybe someone know some trick for this?
Tx and bye!

Comments

• Instead of having the speech play in the background, try having the whole Interaction run in the background.
  • No, I put a trigger to make the interaction begins, a cutscene and an interaction directly in the trigger. Trigger and cutscene was both in Run in background. I tried with trigger on enter (with a big cube that cover the interested area) and continuous (with a line when the speaking in background should start) but in both cases, when I press the mouse to move the Player, the text disappear and the Player don't move, like in a normal speech dialogue when i skip the conversation.

• Does it work when you don't have mouse-clicking to skip speech lines enabled?

Also, you shouldn't have a Continuous Trigger playing a background Actionlist - it may cause repeating errors.  Try disabling the Trigger itself (with Object: Send message) once it's ActionList starts running, so that it doesn't keep being reset (you can re-enable it again at the end of the list)