Forum rules - please read before posting.

When selecting a speeker in Dialogue/Play Speech, no prefabs are shown under 'Assets'

The scene tab will show the NPCs I have in the scene, but the 'Assets' tab will not show any NPCs that I have in my Projects folders. I can drag the prefab manually from my Projects folders into the ActionList where I'm writing my dialogue, but this is inconvenient to keep doing repeatedly. The problem selecting the NPC based on the scene, is I'd like this action list dialogue be scene-independent (these are stored in my projects folder, not in the scene), living with my NPC which can just be dragged into any scene and have their dialogue work. Seems if I select it via scene, when the NPC is in a different scene it loses the reference.

Comments

• As in, they aren't listed when clicking the small circle inside the Action's "Speaker" field?

I'm afraid this is by Unity's own design - the Object Picker window cannot filter by specific components attached to prefabs.

Seems if I select it via scene, when the NPC is in a different scene it loses the reference.

You can assign scene objects in ActionList asset fields, but to work in a different scene their Constant ID number will need to be consistent. A pair of tutorials covering this technique can be found here.