Forum rules - please read before posting.

Icon / cursor renders look washed out in game view.

Has anyone noticed that the icons in the invenrtory (and the cursor images) look washed out when rendered in game view. Changing them to linear color space in import settings makes them even more washed out. Adding contrast to the original image does not solve the issue.

I am using the latest Unity 2022 LTS and URP.

Is there something I need to do in order to get the images to display correctly or is there some tips on how do I need to pre-process the images for Adventure Creator UI to render them correctly with correct colors

Comments

• What is your AC version, and what is your Inventory menu's Source set to?

If set to Adventure Creator, try switching over to Unity Ui Prefab. If you're using the default interface, this menu will already have a linked Canvas prefab to display.

Can you share a screenshot of the texture's full Inspector?

• This may be related to your game's colour space.

Are you using Linear or Gamma space? This is set in Unity's Player settings.

• The project is set to linear color space.
    I am using the latest version of AC.
    The inventory system is using Adventure Creator menus. I have some issues in getting Unity menus to retain the 16:9 aspect ratio for the screen and the elements get clipped off screen on my 16:10 aspect ratio screen. I expect it to be even worse on other aspect ratios. AC menus align perfectly so I prefer to use them, even if they are more limited in functionality.

• Try unchecking the sRGB (Color Texture) option.

Despite the aspect ratio issues, does the texture display correct when using Unity UI (check both ticking/unticking the above option)?

Unity UI can handle different aspect ratios - the Canvas Scaler component will update its size given the screen's size.

If you're enforcing an aspect ratio in AC's Settings Manager, however, so that the ratio is fixed regardless of the platform's resolution, AC's "Auto Correct UI Dimensions" component can be used to update a UI Canvas based on the simulated screen border instead of the true border.

AC's default UI Canvas prefab's have such a component - either on their root or their immediete child. We can look into what adjustments may need to be made to your UI prefab to get aspect ratios looking correct - but let's see if using Unity UI for texture display gives better results first.

• I will look into the Auto Correct UI Dimensions. Ticking the SRGB box off only makes the icons appear more washed out. I will take a look at how the icons look in unity UI

• Indeed, when I use the Unity UI prefab for the inventory, the icon colors render correctly. I still have a problem when I click o the item and it turns into a cursor.

• I am more than happy using the unity UI, as long as the auto correct Ui dimensions works, and so far it seems to work! Unity UI allows me to have much more control and add animations.

• Changing the cursor from sofrware to unity UI fixes the cursor color issues as well.

• Everything AC renders trough its UI layer is washed out though, including hotspot icons. That I can not replace with a prefab from the UI. Is there an easy fix for that?

• Do you see this washed-outness as an issue with AC (possibly due to the project being set to linear color space? Is it something you are planning to fix, or is it something we should always circumvent using unity UI instead of adventure creator UI? This effectively means that I do need to use unity UI for everything. Including hotspot highlight icons (somehow).

• AC's rendering mode ultimately relies on Unity's ImGUI system, and this is a known issue when it comes to rendering textures in Linear space. I shall look into this however, and report back - certainly, a workaround should be possible.

• Perfection! I can also see what happens if I set the project to SRGB. If it affects the rendering negatively.

• For an accurate comparison, could you PM me the inventory item texture?

• hm, changing to SRGB does affect the look of the game rather dramatically. The 3D lighting is way more fickle - as is to be expected. If there was support for rendering things correctly in project with linear color space that would be amazing! The color space setting also affects the text colors. With linear mode the text lines look washed out but with gamma mode they are vibrant an pop the way I like them to.
    I will PM you the file. It is not about the file though, all colors are affected in all textures, but I for sure I can send the file if it helps!

• The issue is not seen on Windows version of unity. this only happens on OSX (apple silicon)

• Update: The issue is only seen on Mac. PC version works great. The workaround was to use unity UI prefabs for all UI elements. Which is totally fine by me! Chris sent me a custom component to render the hotspot icons using UnityUI instead of AC Ui and now I have all elements rendering correctly.