Forum rules - please read before posting.

How do you place items in specific inventory slots using scripting (controller/keyboard only) ?

After losing a load of progress on my game (don't rely on physical media only, kids - hard drives can go wandering!) I managed to rebuild my resident evil style inventory system from scratch.
I use entirely custom scripting - events to check whether the inventory boxes have been selected, then a submenu that lets you use stuff (the items' interactions), discard things you don't want, and finally, to combine and reorder items.
This is where I've run into issues.
I can't, for the life of me, figure out what I should be doing to plonk a selected item into the slot the "cursor" is hovering over.
I assume it's something to do with reordering their place on a list, but I'm a bit of a brainlet, so I couldn't quite figure out what to do!
The relevant stuff I've got is thus:

hoverItem = KickStarter.runtimeInventory.HoverInstance;
        if (hoverItem != null)
        {
            if (hoverItem != selectedItem)
            {   
             Debug.Log("Combine this crap");
             selectedItem.Combine(hoverItem);
            }
            else
            {
             Debug.Log("put the item back where I found it");  
            //just deselect it instead.
            }
        }
        else
        {
            Debug.Log("put the item down in this empty spot");
            //But how? How do I actually put it into the slot?? 
        }

ClearSelected();

Any help would be rad - just a pointer in the right direction. :) Cheers!

Comments

• If you're still relying on an InventoryBox element, such code should typically be placed inside an OnMenuElementClick event hook - is this the case here?

An InventoryBox element doesn't store items itself - it just displays items within an InvCollection class. Placing an item in a given slot is therefore a case of modifying the InvCollection itself (and then calling PlayerMenus.ResetInventoryBoxes() to update the Menus).

The OnMenuElementClick event includes a "slot" parameter to represent which slot index was clicked - you can use this to determing where to insert the item. Though, if your InventoryBox supports scrolling, you'll need to account for the offset with:

slot += element.GetOffset ();

To insert an item into the Player's InvCollection, you can then call:

KickStarter.runtimeInventory.PlayerInvCollection.Insert (myInvItem, slot);

• Ah! I wondered what the slot parameter was for. Awesome! Thank you. I'm using an InventoryBox, and definitely doing it within the OnMenuElementClick event too. So this will sort it out perfectly!:)