Forum rules - please read before posting.

Security Camera: Using the Save game screenshot elsewhere in the game and recording gameplay

Hi, I'm creating a retro point'n'click adventure game. AC has a built-in screenshot system in place for the purpose of save game images. I was wondering if the same feature could be used elsewhere in the game? Is it possible to create, for example, a security camera that would snap a screenshot of a scene using an action... one that could be saved and shown elsewhere (like on a monitor in a security room)? Would this be complicated to set up?

A further security camera thought: using merely AC as it is, is it possible to record the gameplay (as in, player's movements and actions in a scene) after a certain point in time (e.g. after a specific action), FOR a certain period of time (e.g. until a specific action), and then have those play back in a security room monitor view (using a lookalike of the player as a separate, NPC game object, repeating all the movements, performing all the actions, etc.)?

I'm aware these are rather big and open questions and a simple reply or a script probably won't suffice here, especially for the latter one. I'm mostly looking for a simple yes/no with some comments. Of course all possible hints at the right direction are greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Just a further note, the game is 2D and using Sprites Unity.

• AC has a built-in screenshot system in place for the purpose of save game images. I was wondering if the same feature could be used elsewhere in the game?

AC's screenshot feature leverages Unity's provided ReadPixels function. It'd be a case of writing a separate script that uses this same function/technique, rather than leveraging AC's implementation of it for save-game screenshots.

If what the security camera shows is in the same scene as the camera itself, though, you should be able to achieve this using a Render Texture applied to a Material that's used by the camera's monitor. In either case, though, AC would not be involved.

A further security camera thought: using merely AC as it is, is it possible to record the gameplay

Not easily, and again custom scripting would be involved.

It depends on how detailed you want a recording to be, but I'd see it as being a case of having a script take note of all the Hotspots that the Player interacted with during a set time, and then separately evaluating this list to run alternative "playback" ActionLists accordingly.

This could be done with the OnHotspotInteract custom event, triggered whenever a Hotspot is interacted with by the Player.