Forum rules - please read before posting.

Making a side scroller

I just bought AC after months of deliberating and I somehow overlooked the fact that a left-to-right side scroller isn't innately supported. I'm not too knowledgeable of unity and completely new to AC and the one method I've heard is to utilize the sprites unity complex. After some digging through forums and the manual I still don't know what that means or what that process would be.

Are there any guides or tips on how I would set up a simple 2D side scroller game?

Comments

• Welcome to the community, @tng136.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "side scroller"? AC supports both 2D and direct-movement (i.e. using cursor keys to move the Player character, rather than pointing and clicking), but the term "side scroller" more commonly refers to shooter/action games rather than the puzzle/adventure games that AC is intended for.

If you can describe more fully what you're going for, I can advise if AC is the right tool for the job.

Tutorials on creating 2D games in AC can be found here (in video) and here (in text). These focus on the more common type of adventure game, i.e. point-and-click, but if you're new to AC and Unity I'd recommend going through some to become familiar with how things work - many of the areas covered are transferrable between game types.

Having a 2D game be direct-controlled is a case of setting your game's Movement method to Direct. The Player: Constrain Action can be used to limit movement to left and right.