Forum rules - please read before posting.

AC.EventManager.OnStartSpeech happens before the subtitle menu canvas game object OnEnable function

I found that when using Unity UI for subtitle menu, and use AC.EventManager.OnStartSpeech += GetSpeech; in OnEnable() to get the dialog to display in the Unity UI, the AC.EventManager.OnStartSpeech event would happens before the subtitle menu canvas game object OnEnable() function.

So that if AC.EventManager.OnStartSpeech -= GetSpeech; is used in OnDisable(), the next dialog cannot be parsed by GetSpeech because AC.EventManager.OnStartSpeech += GetSpeech; is executed after the AC.EventManager.OnStartSpeech for the dialog.

Anyone else encountered this? How could this be solved?

Comments

• That's the intended order - the menu will turn on as a result of speech beginning, rather than the other way around.

I'm assuming that this is for a script attached to the UI prefab, and that your Menu's Appear type is set to When Speech Plays.

The Menu will only turn on when shown for a speech line. You should be able to perform what you need in OnEnable / OnDisable directly, without the need for events.

If you have Duplicate for each line? checked, you can then extract the Speech line that the menu is turning on for with:

if (KickStarter.playerMenus)
    {
        Menu menu = KickStarter.playerMenus.GetMenuWithCanvas (GetComponent <Canvas>());
        if (menu != null)
        {
            Speech speech = menu.speech;
        }
    }

Otherwise, you can get the latest speech line with:

Speech speech = KickStarter.dialog.GetLatestSpeech ();

I'm only talking generally here, though. If you need more specific advice, I'll need more details and context.

• edited October 2020

Thanks. This solved the "OnStartSpeech before OnEnable()" issue.

However, for menus that are NOT Duplicate for each line?, I still need a way to catch the 2nd dialog onwards, as the function inside OnEnable() won't be called again. I tried the **OnStartSpeech ** event but the the same error occured as before. How may I catch those dialog?

• Hooking into the OnMenuTurnOn event should allow you to do that.

• Do you mean AC.EventManager.OnMenuTurnOn += TriggerGetSpeech;?

But my menu is set to NOT Duplicate for each line, so it only catches the first line after the menu is turned on. I need to find a way to tell the menu to display the latest speech everytime a new speech happens.

• I solved it by using both AC.EventManager.OnStartSpeech += GetSpeech; and Speech speech = KickStarter.dialog.GetLatestSpeech (); in OnEnable(). The former is for getting the 2nd speech onward after a menu turned on; while the later is for getting the 1st speech.

Please tell me if there is a more efficient way.

• edited October 2020

OnMenuTurnOn will trigger each time the menu is turned on - regardless of whether it is duplicated for each line:

private void OnEnable () { EventManager.OnMenuTurnOn += OnMenuTurnOn; }
    private void OnDisable () { EventManager.OnMenuTurnOn -= OnMenuTurnOn; }

private void OnMenuTurnOn (Menu menu, bool isInstant)
    {
        if (menu.title == "Subtitles")
        {
            Speech speech = KickStarter.dialog.GetLatestSpeech ();
        }
    }

• But does OnMenuTurnOn only triggered at the occasion when the menu is turned on? So when there is a series of dialogs in the same Actionlist, it would only GetLatestSpeech () for the first dialog, but not the following dialogs because the menu has already turned on before?

• If your speech Actions are chained together without delays, then yes - it'll turn on for the first and remain on for others.

Hook into OnStartSpeech as you were as well - you can then redirect both events to the same function, i.e.:

private void OnEnable ()
    {
        EventManager.OnMenuTurnOn += OnMenuTurnOn;
        EventManager.OnStartSpeech_Alt += OnStartSpeech_Alt;
    }

private void OnDisable ()
    {
        EventManager.OnMenuTurnOn -= OnMenuTurnOn;
        EventManager.OnStartSpeech_Alt -= OnStartSpeech_Alt;
    }

private void OnMenuTurnOn (Menu menu, bool isInstant)
    {
        if (menu.title == "Subtitles")
        {
            OnStartSpeech_Alt (KickStarter.dialog.GetLatestSpeech ());
        }
    }

private void OnStartSpeech_Alt (Speech speech)
    {
        //
    }