Forum rules - please read before posting.

Portrait washed out

edited September 2023 in Technical Q&A

Hi, I don't know why but my portraits seems washed-out (too bright). I can tell you the bright is fine in the original image. It also happens in other portrait I tested.
I followed this tutorial, using Adventure creator "source". (https://adventurecreator.org/tutorials/character-portraits-introduction)

This is the original one:

Comments

• edited September 2023

If it's happening with all images you put in, then there must be something wrong with the setup of the linked image object of your Subtitles UI, is there maybe alphatransparency enabled in it's properties (click on color)?

Because if you put your Portrait Image under "Panel" in your Subtitle UI, you can see that it has transparency enabled, and that might be your problem. See how your Textbackgounds are a little transparent aswell?

Because your image works fine, when it's not under Panel.

• What are your AC/Unity versions, and what render pipeline are you using?

"Adventure Creator" source mode relies on Unity's legacy ImGUI system. While it's quick and easy to use, it doesn't offer so much in the way of control.

If it's rendering textures with the wrong colour palette, you'd be best off switching over to Unity UI instead, which you can do by switching the Source to Unity Ui Prefab.

The default Subtitles menu already has a Unity UI canvas - SubtitlesUI - which should then show up at the bottom of the Menu's properties.

Open up this prefab, add a new Image to it as a separate object beside the two Label boxes in the Hierarchy, and drag it into the "Portrait graphic" element's Linked Image field, to link it to the Menu. The texture should display with the right palette, then.

If you're not familiar with how AC and Unity UI work together, a tutorial can be found here.

• edited September 2023

Thank you both! I switched to the Unity UI Prefab system and I made it work BUT... for some reason when I get out from the editing mode of the SubtitleUI prefab, the Linked Image loses its reference. Somehow I made it work the first time I tried, but now I cannot. Every time I get out from the prefab editing mode, the reference to the image gameObject is lost. What am I missing here?

Also, how I can prevent the portrait to be displayed with there is not character portrait? Let say is the narrator. Do I have to create that NPC or in the field "For speakers of type: "All except specific characters" I should write "Narration" or some key word?

Thanks!

• edited September 2023

Don't worry about that field, as long as the recorded ConstantID is there.
    You see below the "Linked Image" Slot there's "Recorded ConstantID: XXXXX"?

That is what's "keeping it saved", if you open up your Subtitle UI Prefab and you see these little disk icons in the hierarchy, that means there is a "Remember Component" attached to them.

Click on the Image Gameobject in the Subtitle UI Prefab, and it should have the same ID, that's in the Portrait Graphic Element of your Screenshot.

It should work during Gameplay, have you tried it out with different Characters and Narration?

You're on the right track, let's say you want different SubtitleUIs for different Characters or the Narration. You could change the Appear Type on the first one to Characters Only.

Then you'd create anoter "SubtitleUINarration" UI for example and make it a Prefab, style it the way you want, and put the appropriate Slots in a Menu (you can look at the SubtitleUI and mirror those).

If you change the appear type on that new Subtitle Menu, you can choose that it only comes up when "Speech Plays" and like you've already mentioned the type e.g. select "Speakers of Type: Narration Only" for your Narration UI.

The Dialogue Action lets you choose what you want that Dialogue Line to be, Player Line, a Character, or if you leave those empty it's a Narration Line.

• Thanks @snan for your answer. I get the idea, thanks!

However I still have the issue with the white portrait, not showing the image of the talking character. I'm attaching some screenshots to see if you guys can help me to figure out where is the problem. I'm sure it will something silly.... :s

• edited September 2023

Your graphic type is set to normal on that Portrait Graphic Element.

On your first image, look at the bottom of your Menu in the Menu Manager, on your "Menu 9: 'Subtitles' elements" and select "Portrait Graphic" just like in your Screenshot.

Look at the last Option that you have there, which is the very bottom of your Screenshot, that reads "Graphic type: Normal" and below that is "Texture:"

Click on the "Graphic Type: Normal" field and choose "Dialogue Portrait" instead.
    That could be the culprit.

• That was the problem! Thanks for your help! :)