Forum rules - please read before posting.

Change hotspot raycast length

Can i change the hotspot raycast length for an object?
I have it set at 5 in settings but i want to change it to 100 for a different object.

Comments

• edited July 2022

You can change it in the Settings Manager through script (right-click the field's label to copy an API reference to it), but this is a global setting. Raycasting works independently of Hotspots - it can't be set per-Hotspot.

What you'd need to do is set your Settings Manager's Hotspot detection method to Custom Script, and then rely on a custom script to handle the raycasting. Try this:

using UnityEngine;

namespace AC
    {

public class CustomRayLengths : MonoBehaviour
        {

public float normalDistance = 5f;
            public float farDistance = 100f;
            public string distantHotspotTag = "DistantHotspot";

private void Update ()
            {
                Hotspot nearestHotspot = null;

if (KickStarter.settingsManager.hotspotDetection == HotspotDetection.CustomScript && KickStarter.stateHandler.IsInGameplay ())
                {
                    float nearestHotspotDistance = Mathf.Infinity;

Ray ray = Camera.main.ScreenPointToRay (KickStarter.playerInput.GetMousePosition ());
                    RaycastHit hit;

LayerMask HotspotLayerMask = 1 << LayerMask.NameToLayer (KickStarter.settingsManager.hotspotLayer);
                    if (Physics.Raycast (ray, out hit, KickStarter.settingsManager.hotspotRaycastLength, HotspotLayerMask))
                    {
                        Hotspot hitHotspot = hit.collider.gameObject.GetComponent <Hotspot>();
                        if (hitHotspot)
                        {
                            float distance = Vector3.Distance (hitHotspot.GetIconPosition (), Camera.main.transform.position);
                            if (distance <= normalDistance || (distance <= farDistance && hitHotspot.gameObject.CompareTag (distantHotspotTag)))
                            {
                                nearestHotspot = hitHotspot;
                            }
                        }
                    }

KickStarter.playerInteraction.SetActiveHotspot (nearestHotspot);
                }
            }

}

}

Place in a C# script named CustomRayLengths, and add to your scene. Then, for any Hotspot that should be detectable 100 units away, give its GameObject a Tag named "DistantHotspot".

• I made a script named CustomRayLengths, i add it to the scene but it gave me errors in console.

Assets\CustomRayLengths.cs(11,42): error CS0029: Cannot implicitly convert type 'string' to 'float'
    Assets\CustomRayLengths.cs(31,89): error CS1503: Argument 2: cannot convert from 'UnityEngine.Transform' to 'UnityEngine.Vector3'
    Assets\CustomRayLengths.cs(32,120): error CS1503: Argument 1: cannot convert from 'float' to 'string'

• Sorry, typo - try it now.

• Hmm, it's not working, i made two objects in the scene a cube and a sphere and ad a hotspot for both, for the cube a gave it a Tag named "DistantHotspot" and place the script in the scene on an empty object, but it's not working the 100 units away it detects both of them at 5 units.

• I forgot to change the Raycast settings to it's default, now it's working.
    Thank you.