Forum rules - please read before posting.

iOS Input Issue

Hey Chris and everyone out there. Thank you for the excellent updates. I recently have been testing out my game on iOS and have a successful build that I've been externally testing. The game plays great, you can see that here:

However, I'm running into a few input "issues". These are not deal-breakers, but I've noticed that my players are not receiving the visual feedback which is expected. Here they are (again, iOS iPhone, iPad issues):

1. When you tap on a hotspot, the interactions appear. Then when you tap on the interaction, neither the "highlight sprite" nor the "clicked sprite" appear as they do in my PC and Mac builds. They only appear when you press on the hotspot, leave your finger there, and drag it to an interaction. Is there something I'm missing?
  2. I had one user try to use the new Apple Magic Keyboard on iPad Pro with the game. The semi-transparent circle appears, but when he hovered over the hotspots they didn't glow. Apparently, they only respond to physical touch, by dragging your finger across the screen. Is this expected behavior? Or do you think I should just flash a disclaimer like "Magic Keyboard Trackpad (iPad Pro) not supported. Please use Touch Screen", or something like that?

You can see my input settings at the screenshot in the link below:

https://imgur.com/a/9w5OChb

Any help is appreciated. And Chris, if you read this... from deep deep down, thank you. Really thank you. It's so complicated making all these final builds, using asset bundles, making things work on PC, MAC, and mobile... but it does work, and you make it doable without any additional code. It all works because of you. Thank you so much for building AC. It's so well built and versatile. :)

Comments

• Then when you tap on the interaction, neither the "highlight sprite" nor the "clicked sprite" appear as they do in my PC and Mac builds.

What's your Interaction menu's Source set to, and does this occur when you test in the Editor with "Touch Screen" set as the Input method?

Try it with Unity UI if you're not already - you can copy the default Interaction menu from Default_MenuManager into your own, switch the Source and lock your own Interaction menu to quickly test it out.

I had one user try to use the new Apple Magic Keyboard on iPad Pro with the game. The semi-transparent circle appears, but when he hovered over the hotspots they didn't glow.

If you're using a keyboard/touchpad, I'd expect the Input method would have to be similarly set to Mouse And Keyboard for it to respond properly - otherwise it'll be expecting Touch Screen input.

You'll need to find a way to detect the presence of such a peripheral, but switching AC's "Input method" field at runtime is straightforward enough:

AC.KickStarter.settingsManager.inputMethod = AC.InputMethod.KeyboardOrController;