Forum rules - please read before posting.

Headtarget crash bug

I noticed i got a fatal crash in the latest AC (1.71.2) when returning to a scene where the player was previously looking at something.

StackOverflowException: The requested operation caused a stack overflow.
UnityEngine.Object.IsNativeObjectAlive (UnityEngine.Object o) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/UnityEngineObject.bindings.cs:161)
UnityEngine.Object.CompareBaseObjects (UnityEngine.Object lhs, UnityEngine.Object rhs) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/UnityEngineObject.bindings.cs:140)
UnityEngine.Object.op_Equality (UnityEngine.Object x, UnityEngine.Object y) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/UnityEngineObject.bindings.cs:403)
AC.Player.IsActivePlayer () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Character/Player.cs:724)
AC.Player.SetHeadTurnTarget (UnityEngine.Transform _headTurnTarget, UnityEngine.Vector3 _headTurnTargetOffset, System.Boolean isInstant, AC.HeadFacing _headFacing) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Character/Player.cs:473)

In a scene, the player was facing (with head) another character. When leaving the scene and then returning, the crash occured. If I add a Stop looking action before leaving the scene, there is no error. This did not happen in 1.70.

I am using Local players in my scenes, as it's easier for me to adjust character parameters when the player is in the scene. I get a console message/warning about Local player found, perhaps there's been some changes to the player code that could affect this?

AC 1.71.2/Unity 2018.4.18/Windows 10

Comments

• Thanks for the details, I'll attempt a recreation. Is that the whole message, and what is your character's animation engine?

• edited May 2020

I use mecanim animations with Head-turning IK. There might have been a few more lines that repeated after the last, sorry for not including them. I can probably force this error again if you need more info.

EDIT: Here's the last line, repeated around 20 times:
    AC.Player.SetHeadTurnTarget (UnityEngine.Transform _headTurnTarget, UnityEngine.Vector3 _headTurnTargetOffset, System.Boolean isInstant, AC.HeadFacing _headFacing) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Character/Player.cs:475)

• Open up Player.cs, and find the following around line 473:

if (!IsActivePlayer ())
    {
        SetHeadTurnTarget (_headTurnTarget, _headTurnTargetOffset, isInstant, _headFacing);
        return;
    }

Change it to:

if (!IsActivePlayer ())
    {
        base.SetHeadTurnTarget (_headTurnTarget, _headTurnTargetOffset, isInstant, _headFacing);
        return;
    }

• Excellent, Chris! No more crashing with the updated script!