Forum rules - please read before posting.

Is it possible to use multiple moveable tracks to create more complex railings?

Hi there!

I'm new to the community.
I've been working with the plugin for a couple of weeks now and I have to say it's great!

I was wondering if it is possible to use the moveable components to make a puzzle like this one

Comments

• Welcome to the community, @rus7y.

Gameplay along these lines can be achieved with Draggables and Third-person GameCameras, as used by the Physics Demo.

A video tutorial on their usage can be found here, and text tutorials can be found here.

See also the Manual's "Draggable objects" chapter. One recent handy feature of the Drag Track system is that you can now define "snap points" along a track, that Draggable objects will gravitate towards when moved along such a track.

• Apologies, @rus7y - I misread your title. You're specifically asking about "hierarchical" tracks?

It is possible to parent tracks to one another - and move them through e.g. animation - but you may need some custom means if you're looking to do something particularly complex.

Which part of the video exactly are you looking to achieve?

I've also since posted a means of achieving The Room-like camera transitions on the AC wiki.

• edited May 2020

Hi @ChrisIceBox

Thank you for the reply. Yes, I was asking if it was possible to parent the tracks. The part of the video I was referring to is 1:21:19

• edited May 2020

Thanks for the clarification.

Tracks can't be compounded, no - but it may be possible to allow a Drag object to switch track.

I can give it some thought, but the example in the video is probably about as complex as it gets. Are you looking to achieve that exactly, or something simpler?

• edited May 2020

I've been looking into this, and I believe it should be possible to add this as a feature by way of defining track connections inside a track's snap regions.

• Yes, I was trying to replicate the puzzle on the video. I managed to do it by getting rid of the track and parenting a bunch of colliders on a 2D camera and setting the drag mode to move along plane, but it's kinda finicky

• Yes, I imagine it would be.

I should be able to get something in for the next AC release, whereby you can link snap points to those on other tracks.

• That would be a nice addition. Thanks!