Forum rules - please read before posting.

Tanslation with gather text

Hi. Could someone explain well the process to translate a game? I know that you have to generate the .csv with "Gather text". I already have the generated file. What I don't understand is what the process is now to do the translation. Do I have to make a duplicate of the text for each language and then import it as a translation? I would really appreciate someone to explain the process to me step by step. I use unity 2019.3.6f1. I edit the csv files in windows notepad.

I only want to translate the texts. The game has no voice.

A greeting.

Comments

• Translations can be either imported via CSV, or entered directly in the Speech Manager.

You first need to define the languages, however. Under the Speech Manager's "Languages" panel, click Create new translation and enter in the name of it in the box that then appears.

Creating a new translation will set all text to the original language's, by default.

If you click the cog icon to the right of it, you can then choose "Import", which will prompt you to select a CSV file.

Once chosen, the Import Wizard window will appear, listing each column it finds. From there, you can choose what gets imported into what.

The Demo_SpeechManager asset file has an optional French translation as an example.

• edited May 2020

Thanks! it works!
    My mistake was that I did not use the gear icon for import the csv file for translation. I was trying to do it from "Import text" at the bottom, and that didn't work for me.

Now I have another question. Can you modify the base language text in the csv file and re-import it? When I click on the gear of the original language it just leaves me "create sript sheet", the option "import" does not appear like in the translation gear. This option would be very useful to review hortographic errors in the original text without having to navigate through all the "Action Lists". Is this possible to do?

You have infinite patience. Your dedication to the forum is admirable. Thanks for everything.

Greetings!

• I was trying to do it from "Import text" at the bottom, and that didn't work for me.

The only difference with clicking "Import" next to a specific language is that the Import Wizard window will auto-set the last column to import that language. You can still specify this manually from the generic "Import text" button - and even define multiple languages / columns to be impored at once.

Can you modify the base language text in the csv file and re-import it?

Yes - this is a new feature in the v1.70 update. Just set a column's Import rule to Import As Original Text. Though, it's advised to back up your project beforehand, just to be safe.

• edited May 2020

Sorry, but when I import the csv in the "original text" column, it won't let me put it as "original text" for update. If I choose "import as translation" just let me choose English. My original text is the Spanish version. I´m in unity 2019.3.6f1 and AC 1.70.4

• Apologies - I meant v1.71. Upgrade to the latest release and it should be available.

• Ok Chris, I'll keep that in mind. Thank you!

• edited May 2020

Please help ... I'm going crazy trying to translate my game. When testing the translation, I realized that interactions with my character have not been included in the Gather. He needed to use inventory items with him (for example, to drag a jacket onto the character and put it on), but when using those items the character also has to speak. What I have done is add the script "hotspot" to my main character. Everything works perfectly in the original language, but when I do the Gather for the translation, all the texts that are in the actions related to the character's hotspot, are not numbered for the speech manager. Is there any way to fix it? :(

Thanks a lot for all your help.

• Ok, I have come to the conclusion that it only numbers the objects that are within the scene. I have included the character prefab into one of the scenes before gather and it seems to work for the action list linked to the character. All the phrases associated with the ActionList of the character have already been included in the gather.
    The only problem now is that it don't assign a speech manager number to the character's Hotspot tag. I wish I could change the name for the translation, but if I can't do it, it's not a disaster either.

• edited May 2020

When I import the csv file, sentences containing commas are cut off because AC reads the comma as the separator between one translation sentence and another.

For example:

618,Speech,Hola, ¿qué tal?,Hello, how are you?

The second sentences appears cutted, it sayso only "Hello". I suppuse that is because the comma. I can fix it manually in the speech manager but there are lot´s of phrases with commas in my text....

• When I export text from Adventure Creator, the file uses | as separators, not commas. If you're editing the CSV files, maybe you'll have make sure the file is not saved as comma-separated values, but using | instead?

• Thank you! I was editing the csv file with notepad... Now I downloaded a specific program for editing csv and evrything is fine.

My only problem now it´s the hotspot in the character with his Name. I can´t make that AC asign an ID in speech manager for it.

• Ok, I have come to the conclusion that it only numbers the objects that are within the scene.

Not strictly scenes, but it won't search your entire project - you could have ActionLists present from other games (e.g. the demos) that shouldn't be included.

It will include anything that it knows is referenced by your game - so ActionLists listed in the Menu Manager, etc will be included.

If something isn't being picked up for whatever reason, though, placing a reference to it in a scene (even if it's a "dummy" scene) is the right way to go.

I wish I could change the name for the translation, but if I can't do it, it's not a disaster either.

You can change the names of defined languages in the Speech Manager.

When I import the csv file, sentences containing commas are cut off because AC reads the comma as the separator between one translation sentence and another.

What is the situation when the CSV file is first exported by AC? The standard CSV format is that any field that contains commas should be separated by speech marks, i.e.:

618,Speech,"Hola, ¿qué tal?","Hello, how are you?"

Could it be that the tool you're using to modify the CSV is omitting these?

@machineboy: In Unity 2019.2 or later, AC uses standard CSV format - though you can switch back to the legacy format of pipe character-separation in Unity's Editor preferences if necessary.

• Thanks Chris, Every thing it´s working now. My only problem now it´s the hotspot in the character with his Name (Antonio). I can´t make that AC asign an ID in speech manager for it. It´s a hotspot script that I put in the character for interact with him (like in the screenshot 6 mesages above this).

• If this is a Player character, how is AC aware of him? Is he defined in the Settings Manager as your game's Player prefab?

If the Speech Manager is picking him up for his Interactions, it should pick up the Hotspot name as well - it's listing other Hotspots when you filter by the "Hotspot" type?