Forum rules - please read before posting.

Exporting Text CSV issues

So at the moment I'm trying to export CSV text so I can have my editor go through my text. I'm currently trying to set it up so it tells the editor what character is speaking then its exported to CSV. At the moment it seems to label 90% of the speech text coming from the narrator, which is not true.
https://i.imgur.com/xUNLKy6.png

Here are my export settings
https://i.imgur.com/3FORIPz.png

It seems when I also filter by scene, it doesn't seem to think any of these are in specific scene when I choose that filter.

Exporting scripts work perfectly for spitting out specific character lines for the scripts, just seems to be behaving weirdly for CSV, I may be using a wrong setting?

Comments

• What is your AC version?

Lets see these same speech lines as displayed in the Speech Manager, and the speech actions.

Are these coming from a scene-based ActionList, or an asset file, and how are you referencing the speaking character (i.e. a prefab, scene object)?

• Just updated today so its 1.71.2

95% of them are asset files.
    All characters are referenced through the editor, however they are all prefabs

https://i.imgur.com/FhPPuPa.png

Here is how I select the characters. All character i have set to 'retain in prefab' for their constant ID

• edited May 2020

Thanks, but I also need to see how such a line is displayed in the Speech Manager. I'm afraid I cannot recreate such behaviour.

• I wasn't sure what you needed to see in the speech manger but here are some potentially useful screenshots

https://i.imgur.com/AfCmK3J.png
    https://i.imgur.com/pfEjcEc.png

This one is probably the most relevant

https://i.imgur.com/z5sVCYO.png

You can see a character is assigned but in the speech manger it shows "narrator" and when I try to ping file, it just goes to a random area.

• If it's wrong in the Speech Manager, it'll be wrong in the CSV.

Backing up first, does the Speaker field update correctly if you re-run the "Gather text" operation?

And is there a pattern between speech Actions that feature multiple lines, or are Actions with just one line similarly affected?

• Gathering text again so far does not fix it . ( I am using recycling atm because I have some VO in it already) I tried twice.

It seems to be effecting dialogues with multiple lines and single lines. I tested it in a new Action list asset, still an issue.

I just tested it with an inscene action list, works perfectly fine. So it seems the problem lies with getting the character ID's in the action list Assets maybe? It seems to also not know what scene its coming from.

• OK so I tried to turn off recycling as well when gathering text, now no characters have the correct player tags. I suspect maybe the change in the code that we implemented to get the gathering text to work is now no longer tagging the character names to the text? Just a thought maybe to help with debugging.

• edited May 2020

it seems the problem lies with getting the character ID's in the action list Assets maybe? It seems to also not know what scene its coming from.

If you're dealing with asset files, they have no scene. What do you mean by this?

You'll need to PM me a sample .unitypackage that demonstrates this, as I cannot reproduce any issue from these details alone. It should be enough to send:

• Your game's Managers
    • A sample ActionList asset and character prefab it references
    • The scene that references this ActionList, or whatever it is that references it
  • True they are asset files, but I have them being used for hotspots in scene, so thought maybe it might be able to tell what scene they are being called from, all g if not thats no biggie.

Alright no worries, sending you a PM shortly with a unity package!

• The issue is that you are not assigning character prefabs in the Action. You are assigning scene instances of prefabs, which means the Action cannot find it when the "Gather text" operation is run.

You need to make the character itself a prefab. Since they're currently a child of a larger prefab, you can make them a nested prefab inside it - but the Action field needs to reference the prefab, in the Project window. So long as the Constant ID matches that in the scene, it will still affect the scene instance at runtime.

• Awesome thank you so much! That seems to be have been it, although, not quite looking forward to re-connecting all of them haha.

All the characters are actually already prefabs themselves (The boss seems to be literally the only one I didn't make a prefab for) and they have the exact same constant ID stored in the prefab and in the scene.

Is there a faster way I can reconnect these rather than manually going through over 500 dialogue actions to re-connect the character via the project window.

Also a note, maybe potentially a feature request, when I try to select a character for dialogue in the action list editor, it only allows me to select from characters in scene, not the prefab assets I have all the character. Would be great if I could pick it from there rather than manually take it from the project window.

• Is there a faster way I can reconnect these rather than manually going through over 500 dialogue actions to re-connect the character via the project window.

Not really, I'm afraid - though you can use the Actions Manager to list all instances of the Dialogue: Play speech Action in your game.

Would be great if I could pick it from there rather than manually take it from the project window.

It's not possible to have a drop-down to choose from any prefab present in your project - but with v1.71, and if you have player-switching enabled, you can use a drop-down in Actions to select any player defined in the Settings Manager.

This is true even if you don't actually switch player character, and all other players defined act like NPCs - see my video on this here.