Forum rules - please read before posting.

Some questions about dialogues...

So... I'm moving forward with my game ENCODYA
And I've now few questions about dialogues.

1- For the demo I had lot of headaches to assign audio files to my players, since the exported spreadsheet marked as "Player" both Tina and Sam (my two switchable players). So it was a huge pain in the a** to listen, read, and understand which "player"'s line was Tina an which one was Sam, especially when assigning audio files, because both they were simply marked as "Player". For instance, I've a hotspot, the interaction is "LookAt", the actionlist starts with a "Check Player", if "Tina" says this line, if "Sam", says another line. But since both were marked as "Player line?" then the spreadsheet exporter was marking the "Speaker" as "Player":. So I thought, ok, fine, to solve this problem I'll drag my player prefab (either Tina or Sam) to the Speaker and untick "Player line?". In this way the exporter will name the Speaker with my prefab name. But now the problem is that my subtitles, set to be positioned "Above Speaking Character" are instead in the middle of the screen for some reasons... How can I solve this issue?

2- I was considering to use the "Dialogue System" by Pixel Crushers. I'm using it for another game I'm developing (not with AC) and it's a very great tool. But before starting to use it for my game developed with Adventure Creator, I wonder if it's the right solution. First of all: can Dialogue System solve the issues explained in point nr1? And how does it handle localization? Can I use PixelCrushers DialogueSystem even if I'm just looking at a hotspot? I know AC is good for localization because it collects all the text, export as a single file, and use the same way to import the different languages. But how can I use DialogueSystem with AC without going crazy with localization? How DS and AC communicate in term of exporting/importing different languages? Should I set ALL my text to be with Dialogue System?

Thanks a lot for your help!
N.

Comments

• But now the problem is that my subtitles, set to be positioned "Above Speaking Character" are instead in the middle of the screen for some reasons... How can I solve this issue?

Is this for speech spoken in ActionList assets, or scene-based ActionLists, or all? Does the audio play, and are there related Console messages? Let's see a screenshot of a typical Action.

If Is Player? is checked, then naturally AC cannot know which player you're referring to. However, if you enable comments in such an Action, you can type in e.g. "Tina Line" and this'll be reflected in the "Description" box for the Speech Line in the Speech Manager. This can be exported in CSV files as an additional column.

I was considering to use the "Dialogue System" by Pixel Crushers

These are questions for Dialogue System's developer, Tony. It's not for me to comment on another asset's features, and the integration with AC is provided by him as well.

• Well, as I wrote, I'm taking as an example a simple "Look At" in scene interaction with a hotspot and the action is something simple, like this: https://pasteboard.co/ITyQ9X5.jpg
    Everything works great this way. My issue is assigning the audio. When you have hundreds of audio clips to number correctly, and you have "Player" for both players, is a huge problem. Would be great to have a way to "mark" which player it is for the CSV file... (that's why I thought of untick "player line?" and put the player prefab). However, the comment thing you suggest might solve the problem. But I'm not sure I understood what do you mean with "if you enable comments in such an Action, you can type 'Tina Line'"...? What do you mean with "enable comments"?

Regarding Dialogue System I'll ask Tony.

Thanks

• I meant: a screenshot of the Action with "Is Player?" unchecked, as you described.

Are you assigning a prefab into the Speaker field or a local Player instance? I'm trying to determine if its recording a Constant ID value or not.

Comments can be enabled for any given Action via their cog menu in the ActionList Editor.

• Ahh... sorry. I'm assigning a prefab (I don't have the players in scene) from the project folder. Players aren't in scene, only their NPC are.
    https://pasteboard.co/ITzrR2Y.jpg
    And actually my players prefabs don't have a Constant ID (while their NPC do).

I've found the "comment" thing, never used before... LOL! So if I write in the action comment the player name, it'll be in the "description" column of the CSV, right?

• And actually my players prefabs don't have a Constant ID (while their NPC do).

Attach a Constant ID to the prefabs, and check Retain in prefab?. Then view the speech Actions to update them (they won't visually change, but internally). Once updated, they should then look for the scene instance of the character, instead of the prefab, when run.

So if I write in the action comment the player name, it'll be in the "description" column of the CSV, right?

Correct - unless a Description has already been given to the line's entry in the Speech Manager.

• Thanks!
    Working now.