Forum rules - please read before posting.

AC 1.70.2 Aspect Ratio Issue (locked to 16:9)

Hi Chris and hi to all.

With the latest version of AC 1.70.2 and trying to build an iOS game, the aspect ratio in landscape mode is locked to 16:9.
I unse Unity 2019.3.0f1 but with the older version of AC all worked fine.

You can try this problem doing:

1 - creating a new 3D Unity project
2- switch to iOS platform
3 - import AC 1.70.2
4 - create a new 3d Game with wizard AC
5 - convert the basic scene to "folder" with AC
6 - build the game.

I've already try to force the aspect ratio in Setting of AC but don't work.
I try it on my iPhone 11 pro max and his perfect aspect ratio was 2.168. With the old version of AC work perfectly.

Any solution?

Many thanks,
Paolo

Comments

• I'm not totally clear on the problem. Are black borders appearing when they shouldn't be, and/or are menus distorted? Are you using AC menus, or Unity UI?

Screenshots would be best, as this is a visual problem.

With the old version of AC work perfectly.

What old version was that?

• edited January 2020
    Hi Chris, thanks.
    Before The 1.7 when export a game for My iPhone 11pro Max i wrote a form factor in AC Settings of 2.168 because the display is not 16:9 but much wider. Now, when export without fixed aspect ratio The game appear fine in preview in Unity but in iPhone 11 pro Max i see 2 Black vertical border on left and right. The aspect ratio appear 16:9 but i never setup a fixed aspect ratio. Thanks, Paolo
  • I talk about The game, not The UI. In a scene, for example, i’ve set a Unity UI with right aspect ratio for My iPhone 11 pro Max but (in iPhone and not on Unity preview) after 1 second the UI over the vertical border on left and right desappear.
  • How are you certain it's exactly 16:9? Unless that was set in the Settings Manager, it's not referenced as an explicit value in AC's code base.

In a scene, for example, i’ve set a Unity UI with right aspect ratio for My iPhone 11 pro Max but (in iPhone and not on Unity preview) after 1 second the UI over the vertical border on left and right desappear.

This is a test scene / UI? Is the UI linked to AC's Menu Manager, and does it have an Auto Correct UI Dimensions component attached?

This type of phone has a "notched" area, and the "safe area" is actually determined by Unity's Screen.safeArea property.

Though, this is referenced by AC in ACScreen.cs. Open it up and find the safeArea property. Try replacing it with:

public static Rect safeArea
    {
        get
        {
            return new Rect (0f, 0f, width, height);
        }
    }

What effect does this have?

• Hi Chris, thank you for you help.
    I think the problem is another because if I reinstall the AC version 1.69.2 the issue with safe area disappear and my game are in full screen.

Here a clear exactly image example of what happen:

The image 1 (up) is my scene with AC 1.69.2
    The image 2 (down) is my scene with AC 1.70.2

What's changed between AC 1.69.2 and AC 1.70.2?

Many thanks for your patience,
    Paolo :)

• p.s. I mean that is what happen in a normal scene without UI.

• What changed is that AC now relies on the Screen.safeArea to determine the playable game area's boundaries. The second image shows this - as the notched areas on the left and bottom are no longer obstructing the game view.

Please try my suggestion above - if succesful, I will see about making this optional.

• Many thanks, Chris. Sure, your suggestion work fine!
    I hope you'll add an option to activate and deactivate this function in future update of AC.
    Many thanks, I love AC.
    Paolo