Forum rules - please read before posting.

Boolean Dilemma

Hi,

just wondering if anyone can help me out.

I have a doorman. You have to give him three items to pass. The items can be given in any order.

There is a dialogue option to ask him what he STILL needs.

Is there a quick method to determine what he requires and then give the answer?

Also, is there a way of playing an the same object animation anytime in any scene. Do i make the object prefab?

Apologies in advance
Martyn

Comments

• Is there a quick method to determine what he requires and then give the answer?

Best to use 3 booleans - one for each item - that are set to True when an item is given to him. So "Given fish to doorman" would be False by default, then True when given a fish.

In the dialogue response, you can then use the Variable: Check Action to work out if he asks for a fish etc or not. Each needed item could either be asked for in a separate speech line, or you could combine these checking Actions to work out what combination of items he needs with just one line, i.e. "I need a fish and a potato" if your "Given fish" and "Given potato" bools are both False.

Unless you need to update/query these variables in another scene, these Variables can be Local (set in the Variables Manager) or Component (set on a Variables component attached to the NPC GameObject).

Also, is there a way of playing an the same object animation anytime in any scene. Do i make the object prefab?

Yes, make it a prefab. You could then have an ActionList asset that spawns it in (Object: Add or remove), plays an animation (Object: Animate), and then removes it again (Object: Add or remove).

• Chris,

Thanks bro.

I guess I was wondering if there was a Boolean operator I could just plug in. The actionlists editor gets pretty messy.

m

• While you're still best off with 3 separate Booleans defined, it's possible to write a custom Action that checks for all 3 values at once.

• ah yes this was what i was after, thanks