Forum rules - please read before posting.

Reusing a conversation across scenes

edited October 2019 in Technical Q&A

Hello folks,

So far, my game is made up of various different scenes, and within each scene's hierarchy are all the conversations and actionlists of dialogue...etc that can take place within it. All good.

That's fine, however, I've hit a conversation which I would like to allow to take place in any scene.

Firstly my understanding is that conversations cannot be assets, they have to be scene objects. They also cannot be contained within a prefab (my idea was adding the conversation to the player's prefab as that is present in all gameplay scenes). Is that correct?

If that is the case, what solutions are available to me?

Thanks!

Comments

• Someone on Twitter pointed me at this script:

https://adventure-creator.fandom.com/wiki/Creating_a_global_Conversation

Results are good so far although this requires the conversation to be present in every scene's hierarchy. Is there any way to pull the conversation from an asset?

• Results are good so far although this requires the conversation to be present in every scene's hierarchy.

The Conversation must be present in the scene at runtime, but you should be able to mark it as DontDestroyOnLoad and place it just in the first scene of your game (or whichever you test from), as an alternative to placing it in each scene.

Is there any way to pull the conversation from an asset?

The Conversation must be in the scene, but it can still be an instance of a prefab. If it can be called in multiple scenes, though, you should rely on ActionList assets for its responses. If you're not overriding options with the Dialogue: Start conversation Action, set the Conversation's Interaction source field to Asset File, and you can have each response come from an asset.

• Thanks @ChrisIceBox. Are you suggesting I shouldn't be overriding options in this case?

• For re-usability across scenes, you're still fine to override options so long as you do so in an asset file.