Forum rules - please read before posting.

Controlling the order of dialogue options?

edited October 2014 in Technical Q&A
I've noticed that when you enable hidden dialogue options these will appear at the end of a dialogue options list by default.

Is there any way to control the order dialogue options appear in?

Obviously I always want to have my "Bye" option last and I don't want dynamically enabled dialogue options to override that.

I am sure this is supported by the engine, just can't figure out where the setting is.

Thanks!

Comments

• It's not, but it's clear that it should be.  It's to do with an oversight on my part when creating AC pre-release, but you can't currently re-order dialogue options.  I'll have another attempt at getting this fixed for 1.40, but in the meantime your only option is to create many "blank" deactivated options, and end with on "active" option that acts as your "Bye" line.
  • Cool, thanks for letting me know. I think controlling the order "implicitly" via the order of the dialogue options themselves in the Conversation inspector would be enough (in other words, if I am guaranteed to get the options in the same way as they appear in the Conversation inspector that should be enough for me - and for most people I imagine). Just letting you know of desired functionality in case it makes your life any easier in terms of a fix for this.

The blank options workaround sounds like it could work, but I think I'll wait for the update as I'd rather not have to go back in and look for all the blank options that I'll have to get rid off! :)
  • I just noticed that there's no ordering of dialogue options in the inspector anyway so what I was suggesting is no less trivial I guess (not sure why I thought that was there, must have been thinking of actions rather than dialogue options)
  • Cracked it.  Re-ordering of dialogue options is in 1.40.
  • Amazing news! :) Cheers Chris.

(Also, I hope it will work with already set up conversations!)
  • Awesome Chris! :)))
  • edited October 2014
    @oxyscythe: It was making sure existing Conversations still worked that was the stumbling block.  You'll need to view their Inspectors and save the scene to upgrade them, just as with Hotspots in 1.39.
  • Ah I see! 

Upgrade workaround sounds easy enough, so that's cool. Is 1.40 already out btw?

Nevermind, while I was typing that I thought why don't I check myself instead of asking here :)

Turns out it's out (that was quick!) and I've already updated my project

So what should I expect to see here? I've loaded all conversations in inspector, saved, closed scene and loaded it again but conversations look pretty much the same. Should there be some new ordering buttons or similar? Maybe I am looking at the wrong place... 
  • Ignore me, I am jumping the gun. Actually the update I just got was 1.39c hence not seeing any change :)

Is there an ETA on 1.40?

Thanks Chris!
  • No, there isn't.  It'll be a big one, so it'll be worth the wait.
  • I am sure it will be :)