Forum rules - please read before posting.

Pre-calculate Polygon Collider 2D NavMesh with Holes

Hello. When using a Polygon Collider 2D NavMesh with holes, is the finalized collider being calculated at the time the scene is loaded?

In the case I am tackling, the NavMesh is a very simple rectangular Polygon Collider 2D, but it has many holes within. This results in slow scene loading. Would it be possible to make a "pre-calculated" final collider and save it to some sort of text etc., so it doesn't have to re-calculate the NavMesh with holes every time the scene runs?

Comments

• By the way, can I use normal collider2D functions with the finalized collider with holes? Such as OverlapPoint?

• Would it be possible to make a "pre-calculated" final collider and save it to some sort of text etc

Good suggestion - though I don't know how feasible that would be. I'll do some investigation.

can I use normal collider2D functions with the finalized collider with holes? Such as OverlapPoint?

That's a question for Unity, I'm afraid.

• Yay, I did it by copying the Polygon Collider 2D component, then paste the values on a new NavMesh with no hole.

• edited December 2018

Oh no, it is not a good idea as it seems, pathfinding ignore the holes if I just copy and paste the NavMesh values.

can I use normal collider2D functions with the finalized collider with holes? Such as OverlapPoint?
    I successfully used that.

• If I use the pasted values on the NavMesh instead of generate the holes on start, the pathfinding just go straight through the holes. Would solving this be easier than making a "pre-calculated" collider?

• I shall look into it after Christmas for you.

• Thanks Chris. Merry Christmas~

• Hi Chris, any idea on this? In some scene the loading time becomes long because of the large number of NavMesh holes. It would be great if a "pre-calculated" navmesh can be used, if it is actually possible that is...

• As this thread is over a year old, I don't recall exactly my findings - but certainly I would have implemented it had I deemed it viable at the time.

Can you share details about the actual NavMesh in question? Let's see screens of it's shape, and the NavMesh Inspector.