Forum rules - please read before posting.

Avoid subtitles UI being redrawn between each lines for same character

I have a problem I'm trying to find a solution for.

I have a lot of dialogues in my game where NPCs are speaking more than one line. I'm using the option to use carriage returns as line separators.

The problem is that between each line the subtitle UI of the character is being hidden and shown again and I'd like to get rid of that and let the UI opened until the character finished speaking.

Is there any way to do that or a simple workaround? Because the idea I have for now is to do the subtitle background of each character in a different menu and to show it just before a character is talking and remove it after talking which would be really painful.

Comments

• Do you have a transition on the UI?  If you remove it, the change should be instant.  What kind of transition are you using?
  • I tried setting the transition type to none instead of canvas group fade or set the transition time to 0 when using canvas group fade and it still looks like there is like a frame in between where the menu isn't showing.
  • Oh I'm using Unity UI prefabs.
  • edited June 2016
    And if you switch back to Adventure Creator as your Menu's source, does it then act as you'd expect?  Post a shot of your Menu's properties.
  • I just tried with an adventure creator menu and I have the same effect.

Here is the menu I'm using : 

Sometimes it seems to be instant but I randomly have a "flickering" effect on the subtitle menu.
  • I will try to recreate this.  Is there any apparent pattern to when it flickers or is instant?
  • No, it's happening randomly. I tried both the carriage return thing in a single node or using multiple nodes, and the result is the same.
  • edited June 2016
    For now I decided to do two subtitles menu for each character one manual and one when speech plays. I lock the "when speech plays" and manually show the other one when the character is having more than one line, which doesn't happen all the time. Then hide the manual one and unlock the automatic one.

It's a bit painful but that will do as the game isn't huge.