Forum rules - please read before posting.

[BUG] Cutscene action list keeps rewiring itself

Hi,

Not sure if anyone else is experiencing this, but my cutscene action list keeps rewiring itself, linking boxes together at random, making quite a mess.

There doesn't seem to be any rhythm or rhyme to it. I will be editing, then press play to test, then go back to the action list and it is all over the place.

Any ideas? 

Tnx
Fil

Comments

• Forgot to mention. Unity 5.3 + AC 1.51
  • edited March 2016
    A serious issue.  Though I appreciate it's random for you, could you PM me a scene or provide steps to for me see the issue for myself?  I need to know as much info as I can.
  • Erk. Should've backed it up. 

I broke the cut scene up into several action lists which I call one after the other to solve the issue...

I did take a screenshot so you can see the effect, which I can PM you if you like...

I will also try recreate...

P.S. How do you PM? 

Ta
    Fil  
  • And this cutscene was first made in v1.51, as opposed to just being edited in that version?

You can PM me by clicking "Message" at the top of my user page.
  • I experienced this once for myself but it was pre-5.51. Since then I didn't notice that again.
  • Same here, it happens completely randomly when working on our project :(

The only thing I can say is that it seems to happen after playing an action list (but I'm not even completely sure about that)

That's really a big issue as it can be a lot of work to redo everything properly or start again from a backup. I'd like to give more informations but I really have no idea where it comes from (using 1.51g on Unity 5.3.4). One weird thing is that I don't remember experiencing that on my computer but only on my teammate ones but we are both runing same version of unity and both using an updated Windows 10 version.

It happened to us before during ludum dare project using 1.47b AC version but didn't reported it as we were in a rush to finish the project for the game jam.

What we are working on now is the same project that we are making better so it's updated to 1.51 but the lists were firstly created with 1.47.

If you have any idea what to look for to help you investigate this important issue let me know. 
  • Sorry to hear that.  Is there any difference at all between the two machines that you're using?

Playing an ActionList shouldn't affect anything, as any changes made to it are reverted once the game itself ends.  Any pattern/detail at all you can provide will be helpful to know: how many lists are affected?  How many Actions are in the lists?

Try mass-selecting copy/pasting all Actions within the ActionList Editor window into a fresh ActionList.
  • Any of the action lists can be affected (we use 5 in our scene for now). The one we are currently working on has 147 actions and they are not in order at all as we made a lot of changes here and there in the list.

If I don't do any changes in a list before playing or if the list isn't played it doesn't seem to create any mess.

Already tried the copy/paste thing but doesn't work.
  • While there's no limit to an ActionList's size, 147 is a huge number - and I would definitely recommending splitting such lists into a series of smaller ones wherever possible.

Given the size, I'm assuming you've been using the ActionList Editor window to edit them - have you been using the Inspector view as well?

Please post some screenshots to demonstrate the kind of re-writing that occurs.
  • edited May 2016
    We used a lot of nodes because it's mostly long dialogues and it made sense for us to do a big list like this.

We've always used the actionList Editor, never the inspector.

Here are two screenshots before and after. What I did here is that I deleted the node at the bottom of the first column on the left (EDIT: and then played the list which is the "On start" one). Some nodes are disctonnected from the rest, just pointing at themselves and lots of them are now pointing at whatever they want (I can't identify any logic in the way it's done)

• edited May 2016
    Do you still have a copy of the pre-broken ActionList?  I would like you to PM it to me, if you do.  You can convert a Cutscene to an ActionList Asset file by right-clicking the cog icon at the top of the Cutscene Inspector.  I'd run a test yourself afterwards to check the asset also breaks - but don't save the scene after as you'll be adding Constant ID numbers when you convert.  Then create a .unitypackage (not a zip) of the asset file to send.
  • Same happened to me. ~ 16 actions. Happened after adding a "run in parallel" and deleting an action. I switched between scenes and saved then from a prompt. When I switched back, everything was scrambled.
  • Sorry to hear that @Teshla - I'm working with @Gog0 to try to solve this.

In what version of Unity did this occur?  Is this in a Cutscene or an asset file?  If you can provide an pre-broken ActionList, you can PM it to me for me to look at (everything else in the scene file can be removed, to keep the file size down).
  • Unity Version 5.3.4f1. I don't use multi-scene editor. Not an asset file, an Interaction script on an object. I will try to get a pre-broken action list. Although it might be some time before the break.
  • edited June 2016
    My best guess is that this is due to a change in Unity 5.3, and I believe this can be fixed by doing the following (with the latest AC installed to begin with):

1) Open ActionListEditorWindow.cs, and find line 2051 (just before the "if (isAsset)" line.
    2) Paste the following:

foreach (Action action in actionList)
    {
      action.SkipActionGUI (actionList, false);
    }

Please let me know if this works for you, as I'd like to include it in the next release.
  • Thanks Chris, this fixed it for me I think :-)