Forum rules - please read before posting.

Question about 2d adventure

13»

Comments

• edited February 2016
    this sounds like something i did too...

i think it may be because your player sprite is not 0.

take a look at your player sprite, and look at the order layer it has, and just in case, look when game begins too, in case an animation changes it. (shouldnt, but this is unity - ive seen stranger lol)

if its 0 then it should work as expected.

if however, its off, e.g  -4 to begin with then that will put all your ordering off by -4.  

p.s. i havn't put screenshots up since my player is not starting at 0 (in fact its -8 lol ), and thought this might confuse you if you looking at mine XD
    if you do want to see it tho, i have a video ready. let me know :)

edit:
    Here have the link anyway :P

• @klarax Nothing to do with the issue being discussed, but that game of yours looks absolutely brilliant! :-)
  • lol thanks.

Just gotta get it finished. Long way to go yet, and not really bothered with console versions XD
  • @Quolet: If you have Offset original order? checked in your Follow Sorting Map component, then the order number set by the Sorting Map will be added onto the player sprite's original order.

This is useful if you want e.g. a shadow sprite to also change dynamically but also be underneath the player, but not necessary otherwise.
  • edited March 2016
    Still having a lot of trouble with the sorting map and I'm really frustrated. I've done all correctly, but still my character behaves weirdly.

Does also the tree need to have a Follow Sorting Map component?

EDIT: I've setup my tree to be behind my player (without an active Sorting Map), I removed the Follow Sorting Map component. Then, after activating the Sorting Map, it worked correctly. Why? Glad it works, though.
  • You only need to add Follow Sorting Map components to any sprite who's Order In Layer value you wish to change dynamically.  As the tree doesn't move, it doesn't need it's sprite order change, so doesn't need the component.

Only objects and characters that move around the scene need one - it allows their sprite order to change as they move around the scene, giving the illusion of depth by having, for example, a greater order than a tree sprite when "in front", and a lesser order when "behind".