Forum rules - please read before posting.

Question about 2d adventure

Hi! When I've purchased the Asset I've read that it was possible to create a Telltale Game style adventure. Is it really possible, even using 2D? I'm trying to do a dialogue heavy adventure, with no puzzles. Thank your for your kind answer.

Comments

• Yes indeed!  AC works in both 2D and 3D.  If you're just getting started, I'd recommend going over both the 2D and 3D tutorial videos.  Even if you're only interested in 2D, the 3D video also covers some slightly more advanced topics that also apply to 2D games.
  • edited January 2016
    Thank you very much! I don't want to pollute the forum so I'm posting the question here.

I'm following the tutorial, but I have a problem with the hole. I followed the instructions but I can't create a proper hole. What I'm doing wrong?

• That looks OK to me - you can see the outline of the hole wrapping around the tree.
  • Okay, thank you! I'm a bit in trouble with creating the animations. I own the 2D toolkit and I'm not able to create an animation clip. Can you help me somehow?
  • If you're having trouble making an animation in 2D Toolkit, you'll have to ask the creators of that asset.

If you mean with integrating 2D Toolkit animation into AC, have a look at Section 3.8 of the Manual.
  • I'm really stuck. :(

I've looked the manual and it says:

Support for it can be enabled via the
    Character engine field in the Settings Manager. 

But I can't find the character engine field as you can see in the screenshot...

• I must apologise - the workflow has changed, but the Manual hasn't been updated.  I will see to this.

The setting you actually want is the Animation engine popup in the Player / NPC Inspector.
  • edited January 2016
    Ok!

Ok, I've found the Player Inspector. What I need to assign to it? And to the Standard 2D Animations? I can't find any any documentation.

But there is a simple way to create an animation like the ones provided in the 2D Demo (Brain?). Even without 2D Toolkit. I'm having a really hard time at this, even if I've created all the sprites manually.

I'm not able to create the animation clips!

Any help?
  • Once you've created an Animator Controller and assigned it in your character sprite's Animator component, you can open up Unity's Animation window to begin creating animations.  A text-based tutorial for creating 2D characters can be found here.

Also, @zeek has just published a nice new tutorial on creating animations and using them in AC here.  You may find it especially helpful if you're just getting started with Unity.

It's also worth getting to grips with the way Unity in general works before working with AC.  A series of tutorials on how Unity's animation system works can be found here.
  • edited January 2016
    Wow, thank you so much. Your post really helped me. Now I can have a navigating character! :D
    I have due questions: my 2D collider has a strange offset. Anyway I can fix it?

Also, is there anyway to embed cutscenes I've created in After Effects?

Thanks for your kind answer!

• The image isn't showing - is it hosted on another site properly?  This forum doesn't allow for hosting directly - you have to provide links from other sources.

If you want to show a full-screen movie that you've exported from AE, you can use the "Engine: Play movie clip" Action.
  • Thanks! Now do you see it?
  • The collider has an x and y offset that you can use to get it in a postiion you want? see it on the image, bottom right, 2 from bottom.

It might be safer to make sure your character is all set to 0,0,0 and this should make the sprite etc centred to where the collider is. May still require a tweak to the offet of the collider.
  • edited February 2016
    Indeed, thanks @klarax - looks like the circle collider's in the centre of the object, and what's offset is actually the sprite (which should be a child object).  Reset the sprite's Transform to (0,0,0) - this is a crucial requirement of 2D characters.
  • I've managed to solve the issue. Thanks a lot!

I'm still having some problems with the sorting map. I followed the tutorial step by step, but I still can't manage to make the character walk behind and in front of the tree. As you can see, I've created a sorting map, and I've attached the follow sorting map to the character. But the character doesn't seem affected in any way (and when I move around the order doesn't change dinamically either). What can I do?

• edited February 2016
    Forgot to post this, I also get this error in the log:

FollowSortingMap on Agatka must be attached alongside a Renderer component.

If I attach a Sprite renderer to the GameObject Agatka (which is the parent of the child sprite), I get a superweird error: the character can't walk on the scene. This appens also if I select Sorting Layer in the Sorting Map Script. What am I doing wrong?

Edit: Sometimes I manage to get my character moving in front of the tree and behind, using the setup in the screenshot. But I don't really know how to do it. I've also tried to position the Area under the tree, but the spot in which the character is walking in front of the tree still doesn't change position. Help me, please. ;_;

• Your first of these two screenshots was the correct way to have your Sorting Map set up.  The error you were given was telling you to place a FollowSortingMap component on the same object as your Renderer - i.e. the Sprite Renderer on your Sprite child.

Remove these two components from your parent GameObject, and make sure both your Sprite Renderer and Follow Sorting Map components are on the sprite child.  Also make sure your Sprite child is assigned in your character's (Player or NPC) Inspector.
  • edited February 2016
    Yay, thanks a lot. Now my sorting map works. :)

But I have another problem. My character is walking outside the Navmesh. Which settings I need to avoid this?

• edited February 2016
    Open up your Console window - anything in there to take note of?

The screenshot doesn't show the shape of the NavMesh - what's it look like?

Check that your Movement method is Point And Click (Settings Manager), you Pathfinding method is Polygon Collider (Scene Manager), and that your Player's Sprite child has (0,0,0) as their position (Transform component).
  • It works with point and click (and the sprite child is 0,0,0), but I'd like to use the Direct control. Why the navmesh doesn't work with direct?