Forum rules - please read before posting.

War Game (WW1 educational game for children)

Hello AC community!

I used to be a regular poster but I am embarassed to admit I've not been on here for ages. I like to think I've got a good excuse though which is I've been really busy working away on the game.

As it appears to be getting close to crossing the finish line now I thought I'd check here to see if there's any interest from anyone to help me a little bit with the testing.

As the subject line suggest the game is about WW1 and more specifically it follows the journey of four british boys from their village in rural England to the French frontline and the historic events that happened in the trenches.

There's a demo here which should give you a better idea about the look and feel of the game:

Although sadly thanks to the latest NPAPI changes it's only playable in Firefox at the moment. Once I roll out the final alpha release (hopefully some time next week), I'll provide download links to PC/Mac standalone executables.

So yeah, if you're interested in that update and helping me out a little bit in general with the testing, let me know on this thread or PM me with your email. 

As I've been working on this for about 9 months now I've come fairly proficient with AC so if you're willing to lend me a hand I'd like to return the favour by offering you "priority" support with any AC problem you might be having now or in the future in your AC project (although keep in mind there's still many areas of the plugin I am not extremely knowledgeable with, particularly the 3D stuff as my game is 2D)

Thanks for reading!

Comments

• An interesting idea, wouldn't mind taking a look for you. Just one thing, the language in the demo uses some things that would not have been used at the time it may be intentional though as it will make it easier for young people now to understand.
  • An interesting idea, wouldn't mind taking a look for you. Just one thing, the language in the demo uses some things that would not have been used at the time it may be intentional though as it will make it easier for young people now to understand.
  • Played and finished the demo (with IE), great work!
    I liked very much the graphic style and the animations. It have potential I think!
    And compiled the survey, of course! ^_^

Keep up the good job! ;)
  • Hello! Many thanks 2finger and JosephSco for trying out the demo and filling out the survey, I really appreciate it!

Since posting this we've set up a facebook group to coordinate the playtesting so if you'd like you can join that group here:

Or if you don't want to join yet another facebook group I can always just update this thread with news.

At the moment, I am working on finishing the 3rd (out of 3) chapter in the game so getting there. A guy who was helping out dropped out so it's all going a bit slower now, being that he represented 50% of the workforce :)

JosephSco you are absolutely right, the language is not great and I wish I had more help with that. As you say this could prove beneficial as it might resonate better with the target audience, but it's definitely not intentional, the reason is I am not a native English speaker so I am not great at doing period dialogue (or any kind of dialogue for that matter). There's someone who is supposed to be helping out with the historical accuracy but he hasn't had a lot of time to help much. I am hoping to push him to do a final pass once the full game is done so there's hope yet to improve the dialogue.

2finger I am glad you liked the animations, we sure put a ton of work and effort in those. The sad thing is that for the final educational game we didn't have budget for animation so sadly there isn't any... the game would have been so much better if that wasn't the case, but you gotta work with what resources you have I guess.

Oh also thanks for letting me know about IE. I have to admit I had absolutely no idea it worked in that browser! That's very good to know!
  • Played this demo and I liked, really great work  ^:)^
  • Thanks Jacob!

The final educational game build is almost ready (should be getting wrapped up by the end of this week) so I'll update this thread with links etc once it's done as I would really love for people to have a stab at it and find bugs for me (as I am sure there'll be plenty)