Forum rules - please read before posting.

Timeline + Quick Time Events + Synced Audio

Hello. As of now, is there a way to use Quick Time Events inside the Timeline, or do I need to wait for the Timeline to end, before applying the Quick Time Event? I would create the QTE using only animations, but I need to sync audio dialogue with my facial animations.

The QTE i'm attempting to add to my Timeline is a multi-choice dialogue response with several options, for a limited amount of time. If the choice isn't chosen, then a choice will automatically be used. It's similar to the Basement DEMO intro, but the demo seems to leave the Timeline before the QTE begins.

Comments

• Welcome to the community, @Tally.

To clarify: you're using a timed AC Conversation, not an actual AC QTE?

There's no technical restriction when it comes to a Timeline's playback - they can be played and stopped without AC's involvement. With a custom script or Timeline track type, it's also possible to alter a Timeline's playback.

You could try splitting up the sequence into multiple Timelines - so that the options are shown during one sequence, and each result then shows another sequence.

So long as the Engine: Control Timeline Action doesn't block gameplay (i.e. by having both Wait until finish? checked with the ActionList's When running field set to Pause Gameplay) then you should still be able to display Conversation options while a Timeline plays.

I did actually look into having the Demo's opening Timeline sequence include the Conversation, but one of the key issues I found was getting things to blend smoothly together. Having one Timeline be interrupted by a second causes a noticable jump in the character's animation as they switch instantly to the new sequence. Perhaps Timeline-blending will become possible in future versions of Unity.

• Ah, yes. Looks like it's a Timed Conversation Setting. Even better!

This is all good news to me. I should be able to accomplish what I need to if all I need to do is allow gameplay while the Timeline plays.

If swapping Timelines causes the animation to jump, I may try activating a camera from another angle to hide the jump.

This information helps a lot. Thanks, Chris!