Forum rules - please read before posting.

Hello~ I recently bought AC and please help me integrate this new asset Q costume with AC

edited November 2019 in Technical Q&A

I'm learning AC now and following all the tutorials. It's great. Thanks for making such a great tool to develop games without any coding skills. I'm not familiar with codes.
I bumped into a problem to integrate this asset called Q costume in the asset store with AC.
https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/animation/q-costume-157049
This asset provides a costume builder that I'm dying to integrate with AC.
I like to change clothes, hair, body parts with this asset. I would like to change costumes from an inventory while the game is running. So far I made to change the player's body parts but stuck in saving the costumes.
I tried "remember visibility" but Don't know exactly how. I succeeded in changing the costume by using the findwithTag script to find and change but I can't save it. Please suggest anything that I can integrate this asset with AC. Or if there any other ways to change the costume using AC. With this asset, I can put extra items with bones with physics attached. I would like to know if AC can do what this asset can do.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Comments

• edited November 2019

A Remember script would be required, but it's likely that Remember Visibility wouldn't be the right one, as it looks like the costume asset works by adding the costumes in at runtime, rather than hiding/showing them.

It is possible to write custom Remember scripts for this kind of thing - see this tutorial. I'm not sure how the asset works, but if you forward this link to the asset's developer they may be able to advise. You're also welcome to put them in touch with me.

Using just AC/Unity, it should be possible to do it if all your costume parts and rig are part of the same character FBX file. So if you basically have it so that - by default - a character has all their costumes enabled, you can then hide/show which ones you want just through animation.

This'd all be done using Unity's Animator system - so wouldn't involve AC directly. Taking the torso as an example, you'd create an animation for each torso costume part. Each part's animation would enable the Mesh for that costume, and disable the Meshes of all other torso animations. In the Animator Controller, you'd then create a new "Torso" Layer, add all these animations, and then use an Int parameter and transitions to control which animation is played - and in turn, which costume is visible.

Again, setting this up would just be using Unity. Before you then merge with AC, you'd want to just set different values for this Int parameter manually in the Animator's window at runtime to test that this actually updates the costume correctly.

Once you're happy with the way that works, you can then use AC's Character: Animate to control this Int parameter. Provided that the character you select (presumably the Player) has an Animation engine set to Mecanim, you can then set the Action's Method to Change Parameter Value, and set the Int parameter to the value you want. This Action can then be part of an ActionList, to be run when e.g. part of a cutscene or clicked from an AC Menu Button.

To save this costume set up in AC, you would then just need to attach the Remember Animator component to the Animator's GameObject, as this Remember script will save the current values of all Animator parameter values it finds.