Forum rules - please read before posting.

Swtiching Movement Method From Point and Click to Direct

Hi Chris,

Max from PhantomFox here,
we recently wanted to switch the Movement Method from Point and Click(was working great) to Direct.
Movement with the PS4 Controller on the PC was working great after configuring the KeyMapping.
But we discovered some unexpected behaviours:

1. the player is not responding to the navmesh restrictions or other camera restrictions and can move whereever he likes.
  2. the Run button works, but the player will remain in the direction he was, when we initially pressed the button and will only switch direction again after releasing it.
  3. only some hotspots seem to respond to the player, i cant really figure out a pattern here. the weird part is, i get respones with hotsopt settings: mouse over. but none if i set it to Player vicinity, which i guess would be the correct settings. I guess i forgot to switch some settings from mouse to direct, but can't find them on my own.

Screenshot of the Settings in the AC Game Editor is attached.
https://fivejedi55.quickconnect.to/d/f/523030641395154470

Unity Version: 2019.1.7f1
AC Version: 1.66.8

Please let me know if you need other information to debug this, sry if i missed any obvious ones.
Best regards
Maximilian Täubler

Comments

1. Ok, my bad, NavMesh Navigation is of course not possible with direct controlls, BoxCollider2D works as intended, but a PolygonCollider2D not, is it somehow possible to use a more complex shape, than a Box?
  • Welcome to the community, @maxwell167.

I'm afraid I'm getting a security warning in my browser when I try to view your screenshot - would you mind reuploading it to imgur?

BoxCollider2D works as intended, but a PolygonCollider2D not, is it somehow possible to use a more complex shape, than a Box?

It certainly should be, but 2D collision detection is handled by Unity's own Rigidbody 2D component rather than AC.

I can't recreate this issue in the 2D Demo after switching to Direct control and placing down a Polygon Colider 2D. How about for you? If this works for you, it may be down to a setting in your own Player's prefab.

the Run button works, but the player will remain in the direction he was, when we initially pressed the button and will only switch direction again after releasing it.

Odd, I can't recreate this either - and can't think why this might be. Are you using any custom input script, and does it occur if you rely on the 2D Demo's player prefab, Brain2D?

I would also recommend testing this with the latest AC release, v1.69.5, in a duplicate project just to rule out this is not an issue specific to that older version.

only some hotspots seem to respond to the player, i cant really figure out a pattern here

If you want to rely on vicinity-based Hotspot detection, you'll need to also define a "Hotspot detector" on your Player prefab. See the Manual's "Player-vicinity detection" chapter, as well as this tutorial for more details.

When placing this detector child on a 2D Player, be sure to either add it as a child to the Player's "Sprite child", or uncheck Turn root object in 3D?. Otherwise, your Hotspot detector will rotate around the Y-axis and will not always detect Hotspots.

• Hi Chris, i am also from Phantom Fox!
    I uploaded the picture to Imgur:
    https://imgur.com/kwhvzqZ