Forum rules - please read before posting.

Aligning Player to NPC for in-game moments

edited November 2019 in Technical Q&A

So i want to make the player interact with an NPC and use some kind of forced alignment to ensure they play in sync and align as they were authored. If I can make the players root bone align on the 1st frame to a reference node exported with the NPC then I think it can work, but I am not getting true alignment with copying the tranform info onto the go-to marker.
An example would be making a player play an interaction grabbing the shoulders of the NPC and shaking him ( note this is not in a cutscene but in game view) Another example would be the player pull on an animated lever authored from the 3d program and played as an imported animation with character and prop alignment sync.

Comments

• Welcome to the communitym @Dmolisha.

I'm assuming that the alignment is correct if you simply teleport the Player with the Object: Teleport Action, so the issue is more to do with getting a smooth transition.

How are you moving the Player to the Marker? With the Character: Move to point Action?

If so, then the Player's actual final position will be determined by the Settings Manager's Destination accuracy slider. If set to 1, you can also check the Attempt to be super-accurate? checkbox. Otherwise, character motion is a case of "close enough". For more on this, see the Manual's "Precision movement" chapter.

A couple of other methods exist:

1. Attach a Moveable component to the Player, and you can then use the Object: Transform Action to move the Player towards the Marker.
    2. Use Unity's own Timeline feature to handle animation playback for both characters. This tool offers "ease in/out" features to smoothly re-position an animated object to/from it's starting position.
  • Thanks Chris, I'll try those suggestions! Great tools BTW. 🙌